Tuesday, March 3, 2015
Sew Much Help!
Teaching the girls to sew paid off big time today!! We had one dozen new patches to sew on their uniforms . . . silly me, planned to do this all by myself. Then I thought, "Wait a minute--I taught the girls to sew for such a time as this!" I NEVER would have gotten the uniforms done in time for karate if they hadn't helped me! Just one patch to go, and that's on order because their club was one short (when we require things in fours they tend to run out more quickly :)
The arm patches are for joining the Black Belt Club and then there's a large patch on the front that the kids earn gradually for completing something unique during the week . . . like perfect scores on all their schoolwork, or learning a new household chore, or doing something kind (knitting hats for the homeless). They turn these in once each week (when I remember to write them, I try really hard to remember to write them--I think I deserve a star too! :) The karate leaders read them out loud, the class applauds their efforts, they are rewarded with stars, handshakes, and smiles.
We've been saving them up for 24 weeks and this was enough to move them up to their silver patch from their blue. One of the final notes before completing this patch was, "CGBG completed 1,600 chores in order to earn promotion to Black Belt Training." That got a jaw drop or two, lol :) There's no free ride around here, ya'll! I'm just thankful they enjoy doing karate together and they progress at the same time, so though we "run" a lot, we "run" together :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Colorado
We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...
-
I haven't had much to post lately, just a few things here and there. So here is some here, so you can see what we're up to there ;...
-
I've already shared these with Grandma J, but there is a bit more to the story . . . Buck: I got a text from Grandma J! G$: Is she co...
-
Did you know . . . this was going to be a wee little post that I forgot to finish for quite a long time? Yeah, me, too. I managed to attend ...




1 comment:
Cool. They are going to remember karate the rest of their lives with fond memories because of how close it brought the family together. This feels like the age we were when we were in New London (maybe they are a bit younger but I was between 4 and 5th grade). Working out/playing at the YMCA a lot is what I remember. Playing badminton and volleyball in the backyard. Mowing out-of-bounds paths in the yard to indicate boundaries. Spending time on the house boat.
Post a Comment