So, after karate this morning, we walked in the house. I sat down at the computer desk to send a message to a former hometown gal who is moving to our current town. Little did I know, I could soon add an emergency room recommendation to my list of "things to know" about where we live now! I heard crying, and Buck said, "Jess, can you come up here a minute?" There was Gabby, in tears :( Poor kiddo; she and big sis were playing a game in their room, when Gabby I guess knelt down on the floor . . . and found the sewing scissors that were already occupying that space. I don't think they poked her; it's more like she caught them open somehow? Ugh :(
I called the pediatrician's office, knowing that our pediatrician no longer works there (she sent a letter a week or so ago). They said they don't have any doctors in-house that stitch, but I could take her to either of the ERs in town, or I could take her to the neighboring state where our pediatrician will be affiliated in the future. We decided if it was ER regardless, we'd just go where our records were already in the system from well-child appointments. I was feeling mommy-shaky on the inside, but Buck said I remained very calm :) Gabby did well, too. She said it really didn't hurt after Buck wrapped her leg up with some gauze and tape (the ER nurse thought he did a very good job, btw :)
The doctor (I think she said she was a physician's assistant, but I was a little distracted) normally works with a wound clinic--she said she loves procedures and does this sewing up of people all the time. Gabby got a little nervous waiting for them to return with the things they needed to patch her up, but she was brave when they returned. The doctor dripped a little of the medicine into the wound before she used the needle to numb the area--the pre-numb seemed really smart! The nurse told Gabby (as I had while they were out gathering supplies) not to look at the needle when it went in, but she had no problem looking at the stitching process. The doctor was great about talking with her and explaining what she was doing; the nurse shared pictures of her daughter (she was commenting on Gabby's dimples and said her little girl had dimples too). They kept it light and relaxed, and that was calming for Gabby--and her mother ;) She ended up with four stitches, a seven day break from karate, and a story to share with her siblings. Whew! I hope we never have a broken bone or something serious . . . if so, I may have to send their dad :) I don't like to see my *babies* hurt! (but who am I kidding, I'd be going nuts at home!)
No comments:
Post a Comment