When we were touring the downtown area of Oklahoma City, we noticed there was a large population of migrating birds--everywhere! Especially along the waterways . . . as I caught up to Brennen, I heard him saying, "Duck . . . duck . . . duck . . . goose!!" and sure enough, that's what was on the path next to him :)
In school, we were discussing some of the language quirks in the dialogue of our story books. I explained that, like when we were in Texas, people say things differently in different regions of the country--for instance, *Ya'll* instead of *you all.* The kids then tried to come up with other terms that are different by region. I mentioned that in many areas people say "soda" instead of "pop." Brennen thought about that for a minute and then asked, "Well, then when we're cooking, why don't we say *baking pop?*" (instead of baking soda :)
The other day, G$ was working on an assignment. He was frustrated that he couldn't find the answer. I heard him say, as he ran up the stairs to find his sister, "If the computer doesn't know, I'll just go ask Gabby!" He has noticed his sister's impressive ability to retain information, so why waste his time with a computer? His sister knows more ;)
Buck brought home a lemon/blueberry pound/bundt cake as an Easter dessert. It took us more than a week to eat through it. Ever-mindful of portions, G$ asked Buck, "Dad, can you cut me a sizable piece of cake?" Lol! He meant, "Can you cut me a piece of cake that is an approved size for me to eat?" Or did he . . . ;)
Finally, we were doing a little weekend schoolwork . . . sort of . . . by watching John Wayne's version of "The Alamo!" Did you know it is nearly 3 hours long, whew! We had to start it, stop it, eat dinner, go to baseball practice, and then finish it when we got home again. I think this has to be the version they showed us parts of in history class during elementary school. I distinctly remember watching a movie about the Alamo in school, and I was so worried my parents didn't know about it--I mean, it was school, and I was like G$'s age, and there was fighting and IT WAS DURING SCHOOL! :)

So today, we were discussing things about movies that are different than in real life--such as Davy Crockett was married, and though nothing happens with the leading lady in the film, he shouldn't have been flirting with her. I told them, "Sometimes they change parts of the story to make it more interesting, so this might not be 100 percent historically accurate."
G$ said, "Well, do you think they'll change it so they win this time?"
Can't.stop.laughing. Unfortunately no, they did not :)
1 comment:
Oh my gosh, these are great! And even though I wasn't there, in my mind I can hear each of them as they were spoken. Gotta love the Alamo gem! And I too shall rely on Gabs instead of Google! And.....now, whenever I bake, I will think of baking soda as baking pop!
Post a Comment