It's funny the things we do as moms . . . things that actually don't bother us all that much, even though it seems like they should. You know, things like . . . taking a van load of kids to street hockey on Mother's Day. And then sitting on steel bleachers watching the hockey children and their sister-coach dance to all the songs playing through the plastic-covered speakers. Why were the speakers covered in plastic, you might ask? Well, while sitting (on Mother's Day) the rain might be pouring down, as the 7-year-old who didn't let a ball fly past him the whole first period, gets swapped midway through the third period, because the game end is looking sketchy and they need him back in the goal box. Did you catch that . . . in the pouring down rain . . . on Mother's Day . . . lol :) The boys have so much fun, and their big sis is a really good coach (between dance moves), and the sister who sits with me cheers loud enough to make her Aunt J proud! It's also nice that this year we know more people and our neighbors' two kiddos are on our team too (a little recruitment after only four kids showed up to the first game -- our boys being half the team; they played non-stop in the hot sun, and won!!) So all in all, despite the weather, doing "mom" stuff isn't such a bad gig :)
This was a little pre-game skill building :)
Little did I know, that somewhere on our journey to and from hockey on Mother's Day, in the rain, we picked up a screw in our "new" tire (we had them all replaced in November). It was flat as flat can be when we backed out for karate the next day. So flat in fact, I didn't even pull the van back into the garage. Good thing I know a guy who knows a little something about changing and fixing tires ;)Back to the game . . . here's a video of the last few seconds in the rain and how excited Mr. G is when he finds out they won!
(B is at the line with the red shoe laces, G is the goalie)
In addition to my lavender plant from the boys, the girls gifted me with the Burt's Bees chapstick (peony-colored) I've been wanting for . . . years? (I can't make myself buy a new one, even if the old one is a color I can't stand, until the old one is used up, but I can receive the correct new one as a gift :) They also got me a second 5 lb. weight. I purchased one for myself a decade ago, figuring I only need to work out one arm at a time. But that really doesn't make much sense, so I've always tried to hold two 3 lb. weights, to make 6 lbs. in one hand and the 5 lb. in the other hand, and then switch so one arm doesn't become noticeably stronger (hee-hee). And while I won't buy myself a second 5 lb. weight, I can ask for one for Mother's Day . . . now I have two! Hooray! Though Buck had to work on MD, he had the previous day off and did his best to cook, clean, and let me relax. It's nice to have the day off myself :)


No comments:
Post a Comment