Monday, May 13, 2019

Mother's Day

I'm glad Mother's Day is on Sunday. At church there are friends to greet and mothering skills to admire among my friends and family. There are neighbors out in the cul-de-sac, and opportunities to rest in the house. I tried to read a book, but couldn't keep my eyes open. I couldn't take a nap, because I'm weird about having all the kids accounted for while I'm sleeping. Normally, they watch movies or read a book or something if I need to nap, but on Mother's Day, our retired neighbor needed Brennen's help with some lawn and garden projects. All told--he was there nearly five hours!! This cuts into a mom's nap time ;) However, it increases her ability to have a solid night's sleep, which I did . . . despite eating about a million of the chocolate-covered raspberries that Gabby hand-made me for Mother's Day (yum!!)



Buck worked, so after church, we let out the chickens, gave the baby chicks a chance to semi-free range in the freshly-tilled, enclosed garden, and Graysen did the next round of planting. We've decided that the majority of our leftover seeds from last year are going into this wide-open "chicken garden." If it grows, great! If we get to eat any of it, super! If the chickens get it all, oh well :) Less stress this summer. I think G$ planted corn, watermelon, zucchini, pumpkins, and a variety of lettuce--not properly, but hey, the seeds are in the ground, and that's good enough for me in the chicken garden :) The chickens also made sure that some of his efforts were immediately uncovered and devoured, but that's just how chickens roll.






In the midst of this relaxing, I could see B across the fences mowing the steepest corner of the neighbors' lawn. We wouldn't let him do it last year when they asked, but this year he's taller and stronger and can handle the dramatically-angled mowing situation.


Also, the girls came up to help me watch the chickens and to work on my selfie game. Buck knew we planned to be outside, so when he said good-bye at church he also said, "Wear your hat." So I did :) And the girls showed me on the phone where there are all these selfie settings to make your eyes big and your face thin and to correct distortions?! Oh give me strength. Then it's not a selfie at all, it's a somebody-elsie! I did like the skin tone correct (which I think the does automatically, anyway) and the spotlight, because often the lighting is terrible in selfie situations. Anyway, here are some of the results (lol!!)




It was a very low-key, relaxing day. I enjoyed my card from G$, my candle from B, my kitchen utensils from C, and my plants from Buck. I pretty much avoided all responsibility (well, I tried :) and did my best to enjoy the day. There was sunshine and rain, busy kids in the neighborhood and everyone landing back in the nest. Graysen says my last selfie is scary, lol!!

1 comment:

Grandma J said...

Those chocolate covered raspberries look delicious! Cute hat, cute selfies! Sounds like a good mother's day!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...