Monday, June 17, 2019

Asian Invasion

Buck and I were just talking about how nice it is when our friends' kids and our kids like each other and enjoy each others' company. We've visited these three boys in their home in Arizona and then met at Legoland in So. Cal (five years ago?), but collectively, the kids haven't exactly spent loads of time together. Now that Jen's twins are about to turn into teenagers (putting them age-wise right between our boys, though they look like they're 16) the cumulative boys had a great time eating, playing football, playing baseball, and well, eating :)




The AZ boys were wowed by our backyard. Buck kept asking if they were used to seeing all the trees yet :) Jen said, "You have so much grass, and it is so soft!" A more accurate description would be, "You have so many types of weeds that together they look like grass, and in most places are walk-on-able in barefeet." But we're glad she enjoyed the experience :)





I love that the goofiness and silliness in fully embracing cultural stereotypes has been passed on to the next generation in my friends' family. These boys were more than happy to take a picture next to the sign and giant arrow indicating they are Asian :) And then I had Jen pop in to be the touristy Asian mom taking pictures of her touristy Asian children. It is good to laugh :) And the weather was beyond perfect!!!



We told Graysen he could stand with the Asians for this picture, he wasn't sure if he should, lol :) Brennen is smiling with the red panda, who promptly went into that little shed behind him.



Not a lot of animals were out enjoying the lovely day, but we did find an elephant checking the space in front of his indoor enclosure for treats.



I had to talk a picture of our kids and Jen's kid in the penguin enclosure. Back in San Diego, Buck and I took Jen and her husband-to-be (neither of them knew it yet) on a double date with us to the zoo. Jen answered a question about a penguin and we all four got to go into the enclosure and feed the penguins. So, the first picture Mark and Jen have together is in a penguin enclosure. I always think of them when we visit penguins :)



They all felt pretty accomplished running through he jungle. I was just glad we got there before the bat feeding (shudder!!!!) Happy kids, having a fun day together :) 

Later, Buck took all seven of them to youth group, so Jen and I could hang out together at home and talk. One of Jen's kids came in with a leg injury, Buck was bleeding from his arm and had road rash down his back. "Game night, tonight?" "Yup." Eeek. I gave them candy bars and they felt better :) (Do you remember the after school special where kids were rewarded with cookies when they fell down and got their knees scraped? Even then I thought that was dangerous food habit to get into, sheesh!)







I heard giggles from downstairs when I went to switch laundry and find my phone (I'm always missing my phone). Interestingly Jen handed it right to me . . . and I noticed the camera was on :) Goofballs were taking selfie photo bombs. I've never had that happen to my own phone before, but I thought it was pretty funny :)



The next morning they snuck out so quietly, I wouldn't have heard them preparing to leave if the garage door hadn't opened. Jen said, "We're Asian . . . ninja is in our blood." Lol :) She's texted me a few times since they left and said her boys wish they could have stayed at our house longer. Love that! Happy travels, friends!

2 comments:

Grandma J said...

Looks like a fun visit...now it's your turn to go to Arizona, right?!!

Buck and Jess! said...

That's the plan :) Buck is watching tickets for November.

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...