Monday, June 14, 2021

Coopy-Cat

IDK what that title is supposed to mean, lol! I was just thinking that our love of chickens (okay, MY love of chickens) sometimes spills onto others and inspires them to want to live the chicken life too--like a copy (coopy) cat? :) While our pastor's family is on sabbatical, we decided to surprise them with a coop of their own. Hopefully the bits of random conversation, and the weekly buying of farm-raised eggs is enough evidence that they wanted this to happen someday. Well, the day is here! Well, sort of . . . there are no actual birds in the coop, but it is built . . . maybe not stained . . . but cemented and extended from six foot long to 16 foot long! Happy chickens, happy humans . . . we should have an HGTV show ;)

"Is this where you want it?" The picture we sent to our pastor who is in on the surprise although the rest of the family isn't :)


Nope, down the slope . . . it required some extra digging, but we made it work!


Our boys raising the roof ;)


And when borrowing an old playcenter roof, one needs a structure to support it :) Brennen and I mathed out the dimensions for the extension walls. I suppose I could count this as an extra credit project for his construction class. I'll have to subtract a few points for him putting a screw into my thumb (but it was an accident :)


By day two, we had recruited our fourth helper (hard to catch the ladies between work schedules). Caelan said she likes to dig, so she got to do the trenches for eventual subterranean wood and concrete blockages for digging creatures.





It was crazy hot, so we had to take middle of the day breaks at home in the air conditioning. I don't know that we returned refreshed, but we did return with bug spray. The chickens are going to help take care of that business when they arrive at their new home later this summer!


The original end-piece fit nicely at the end of the extension. We flipped it upside down, because Buck had the idea that our pastor's fam could open the latch (which is supposed to let the chickens out to free range) and pour food directly into the feeding system we bought (which is just like ours, but now so much more convenient!) Smart thinking! Like I said . . . we should have a show!


At the end of day two, both roofs, plus the bonus roof in the middle and all the chicken wiring is done. Cement and dirt is in place. Extra door handle is installed. Storage shed is built, water hook is installed (we just need to get a chain to hang it from), all that's left is stain--which I've never done before, but online said not to stain if it's going to rain, and wouldn't you know it we have one random thunderstorm day in the midst of desert-like weather conditions. Oh right, and we have to get some chickens! I'm hoping friends will donate ones that are already laying. We have a bit of a chicken community around here :)


Gotta snap the blazing hot, no a/c in the Caddy, sweating all day, covered in bug spray, sitting with building materials on my head or snuggling your brother, drive home photo-op. Still smiling, though! That's got to count for something!


1 comment:

Jess and fam said...

Grandma J said...
That's quite the chicken condo....and yes, you should have your own HGTV show!!!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...