Thursday, June 17, 2021

More Babies

And after the tattoo . . . we got some tacos, and some more baby chicks :) I was hoping friends with bigger, already egg-laying aged birds would share with our pastor's family to complete our summer project. It turns out quite a few flocks have taken hits with hot weather and animals etc. this year. Sad! So, we stopped into our friendly neighborhood chicken store . . . and got eight more babies. Eeek!


There were not many chicks left, and because they were already a week old (they have their wing feathers) with more on the way, they were marked down to $2 each. A couple behind us said, "We're buying EVERYTHING you don't, so go ahead a pick." Lol, no pressure!! So, of course, they had some French Black Copper Marans--feathered feet (which Graysen's been wanting), dark, chocolate-colored eggs (which I've been wanting) and there were only three left! So, we got one for our friends and two for us :) That will put our flock at 25. The process of swapping out coops for three sets of birds of different ages will be complex, but we don't have to worry about that until late July. I'm not sure what we'll name them--my first thought was Cocoa and Puffs :)


The rest--three Rhode Island Reds (Brennen's favorite--they are SUCH cute chicks!!), and two Black Australorps (Orpingtons from Australia)--will go to start our pastor's family's flock. They won't start laying eggs until the fall, but it will be fun to come home to partially grown chicks (at least we hope so!! :)

2 comments:

Grandma J said...

It's amazing how many types of chickens there are....and that you know all the types!!!

Buck and Jess! said...

Ha! They label them and I take pics of the labels;)

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...