Thursday, February 16, 2023

Kitty Stuff

We're pretty sure this kitten has some brain issues. He is so not sure-footed and he is very forgetful! He'll cuddle me one minute, and then if I leave the room, he freaks out like he's never seen me before and off he goes at lightning speed to hide somewhere. It's odd.


There's also a chance G$ might be allergic to him . . . he hasn't been to an allergist since he was three and looked like this--


Back then his scratch test came back clear, allergic to nothing. But in the past few weeks, he's back to looking like this--

We were able to get an allergist appointment only eight days out (which is amazing, since the first place Buck called was months away). He's been off the allergy meds he was taking, as directed, for almost a week now. We're running out of kleenex and the sneezing, nose blowing, and itching is starting to bother him (more than starting :) 



Working on stealing my pen . . .


Graysen built him a scratch box!


I'm not sure how he got back behind the washer and dryer again, but I know he couldn't get out because I completely blocked him off. He decided it wasn't such a great place to be, after all.


We now go to the wall by the stairs to find a pencil for school, bill paying, writing notes, etc. His collection was up to six and growing!


Raptor eyes, like Jurassic Park



Sometimes he just HAS to have physical contact. He sat like this for close to 30 minutes. It looks like he's praying for healing, lol. Maybe he should put his paws on Graysen instead :)

As it turns out . . . he should NOT put his paws on Graysen. Buck took Graysen to the allergist yesterday (one of our seven doctor appointments of the day). They did the 24-pack scratch test and cats popped at a 4+--the highest on the scale! Interestingly, that was the only allergen he reacted to, but as the seasoned allergist said, "I don't believe it." He said Graysen's nose structure is altered from years of rubbing it, how crazy is that? The cartilage at the end is not developed/soft and he has a divot where there isn't usually a divot. Something about his eyes, too, but I'm relating what I remember Buck relating to me :)

The allergist would like to do further testing (I think a 72 panel?) to find out what the other things are (he's almost sure of dust mites, like Buck), but only if Graysen wants to pursue allergy shots. That's one shot per week for a year (one hour appointment each), then every other week, then every month, etc. until he clears five years. FIVE years of shots!! He'll be 20.

So, despite the fact that cat allergens apparently stick in one's home for a solid year, we decided the best thing to do is to return BB to the organization (as per contract) that we adopted him from. I guess we really did just have him on lease! I emailed them just a few minutes ago, so I guess we'll see how that reversal process goes.

Yes, there are ways around having an allergy and having a cat simultaneously . . . these involve tearing out our carpets, having our furniture cleaned regularly, wiping down walls with soap and water frequently, running a HEPA filtration system, confining the cat to a couple of rooms (or outside, which is strictly against our contract), having G$ change his clothes before bed, washing his hands any time he touches the cat, and somehow keeping the cat out of Graysen's space (BB climbed the ladder to the top bunk and chewed on Graysen's toes two nights ago, so . . .) It's a lot. And that is while he's doing the allergy shot regimen.

For now, Graysen has five prescriptions to help zap the current reaction. Which is crazy, because Buck took him to his appointment when G$ was little and he came back with a whole stack of prescriptions then, too. I guess if we only have to go through this process once a decade, the shots won't be necessary. Graysen has a recheck in a month, and the doctor will decide what the best course of action is at that point.



And I finally got my cat selfie, just in the nick of time :)

No comments:

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...