Pretend you are reading this in the middle of the Two Weeks post :) Buck and I were super excited that the newlyweds all joined us for this year's Gala! The theme was black and white, so everyone dressed accordingly. The girls looked fantastic and their husbands very handsome; I might say we had the best-looking table in the room!

During the social hour, we meandered the auction tables, nibbling hors d'oeuvres and deciding which items we might like to bid on for the fundraiser. All the proceeds go to building a library and healthcare facility (well, and to fill them, too!) for the sponsored kiddo program we're part of in Africa. During the evening, we heard stories of the organization's beginning, and listened to a young man--who Noah and Caelan know from college--tell of his early life on the streets to now nearing the completion of his degree in America, thanks in great part to this ministry. The founders' adopted son (who used to be part of our youth group) prayed over the meal. We enjoyed a lovely Rwandan-inspired meal and caught up with many friends who were also in attendance.
When the program reached its conclusion and dessert with it, the auction closed and we waited to see what we'd "won." First up, Buck had entered the 50/50 drawing (which was a new idea to me) and we ended up winning--cash! $320 for the ministry, $320 for us--wow! We ended up giving most of it to our friend and her husband for their quickly approaching mission trip, next month. Their funds didn't come in as speedily as ours did (four years ago), so it was fun to get to help! Oh, and I also (finally!!) won a quilt made by the pastor who married Noah and Caelan's mother-in-law . . . that sounds weird if you read it wrong. Anyway, I've had my eye on the beautiful quilts she's generously donated to most of the silent auctions we've recently attended. Throughout the night, Buck kept checking the paper to see if we'd been outbid. At the very end, without knowing he did so, one of our church elders blocked the very bidding sheet on which our top dollar amount was written. He talked and talked, and Buck and I just smiled as the clock counted down. I made sure to tell him the next morning at church how helpful he'd been, which, of course, he found quite hilarious :)
The beautiful, warm quilt was a welcome addition to the cold walk to the car and ride home after the Gala. I'm so glad we got to experience such a fun and fancy evening with our favorite newlyweds!! Update: the Gala raised almost 90% of the goal at just under $27,000. That money will go to do good things for God's children in Africa!
Bright and early the next morning, I was back in the nursery! We've got spring break plans during my next shift, so I've been looking for someone to switch. A last-minute request came in, and I accepted, knowing it would be a late night before and a busy morning of. Because, you see, I planned to go to Caeloah's church, not ours! I hoped to scoot out with plenty of time but was 20 minutes beyond my goal when the last momma retrieved her babe. However, I made it to church while they were still singing, and enjoyed a unique, scholarly look at Palm Sunday along with some throwback worship songs which were fun to revisit :)
After church, Caelan and I hopped in the van and headed to a fundraising event the service dog organization was putting on to help defray costs of training and treating the pups in the program. We started as 50/50 raffle ticket takers (good thing I learned what that was the night before!). I ended up doing volunteer check-in, plus keeping track of humans and doggos on two separate clicker counters--let me tell you, that job got intense :) Caelan was pulled to the map table, while I helped with admissions. Then we both met back at the dog art booth where we (mostly Caelan) assisted pups in painting their paw prints on canvas.
There were loads of vendors spread throughout the event center (which was expansive). I found Olive a replica tug toy of her favorite one (which Herbie might have ingested a bit of). As a volunteer, it was super fun seeing all the different types of dogs--sizes, personalities, breeds! But the very best part is--we got to see Newton! It was four years ago that we said good-bye to that goofy furball after nearly a year of Caelan puppy-raising him. He's back in town for a few things, before returning to his guardian home family, including some additional training. While he's not a certified service dog, there is a member of his family who has seizures. They decided to give him a brush up on his skills, so he can assist her in some ways, which is pretty cool!


.jpg)

Driving home in the pouring rain, we realized we hadn't eaten much or at all that day. Caelan started calling and sending texts, and at the very last minute (we were literally at the exit) a plan came together to meet with our husbands at a restaurant not too far from either of them. Yay! We ordered nachos and noshed on those while we awaited their arrival--Herbie came too and took up most of the space under that giant table :)
For some reason there was a cow in a Raising Cane's jersey, but he (or she?) hopped into a waiting car and drove away. Ha! It was a nice way to end a super busy, volunteering, fundraising kind of weekend. I'm thankful for all of it!
1 comment:
That quilt is beautiful!
Post a Comment