Good Friday was a day filled with tears. We learned that our kind, generous Mr. R passed away the day before. I'll make a post about him soon. Buck's work schedule flipped upside-down, wrecking a plan to all go to church together that evening. As the hours passed, I told each of the kids the sad news from California. These are not easy conversations, and they seem to happen all too frequently.
Amazingly, we found a bright spot in the day--in a strange way. Buck's coworker, who was hospitalized that morning, was cleared to go to work. This meant Buck could leave at his previously scheduled time. By 6:30 PM, all eight of us, plus our NGF's family, and Gabby's other in-laws filled nearly three rows of seats in the church that Brennen, Gabby, Chase, R and C attend regularly, along with Chase's sister and her husband. Being together, singing worship songs (but only the sad parts, to recognize the solemness of the sacrifice Jesus made for our sins), looking forward to the joy of Easter, but feeling the sadness of loss both past and present--tears were falling.
We left the church in silence, as requested by the leadership, but Buck and Caelan couldn't keep that up much past the exit doors :) We discovered Noah had parked right next to our van, so we were able to hand off Easter bags--no baskets this year; I don't have enough! I also didn't hide them, because that would be weird in a church parking lot :) We knew Caelan and Noah planned to spend Easter with Noah's family, so I was happy for the chance to give them an early bit of the celebration that Easter morning brings.
Caelan can't resist a gift, so she was already sending texts and a picture as Buck and I were still driving home :) By the time we'd ordered our burritos at the new drive-thru taco shop we've all eagerly awaited to open (and which the boys said is fantastic), Noah was sending updates on his Lego succulent building progress, as well. This was Buck's idea--he thought Noah should have some plants he enjoys as much as Caelan enjoys hers!
Our boys drove Buck's car home from church. They celebrated Chase's birthday early at Texas Roadhouse. G$ stayed overnight at Chabby's; Brennen (as I mentioned in a previous post) stayed over at the new guys' house--I'm going to have to make up a name for it, aren't I . . . TyCaRyl's, perhaps? RyTymon's?
On Saturday, the fun began at the new--what did Gabby mash-up?--CaRyer house :) I was home working on the blog etc., but as you've learned--I can live vicariously through BeReal ;) Also, I felt somewhat included because four of the guys stopped home to gather badminton supplies from our storage tubs. They ended up buying a new net for the new house and enjoyed the afternoon's beautiful weather on their really nice yard!
While they were here, they spoke of renovation plans and ideas, which Gabby followed up (after cooking in their kitchen) with the necessity of a massive cleaning. Carpeting in the kitchen and bathrooms--eww. In fact, it appears this home was most recently lived in by an elderly couple (there is a working stair lift--I've always wanted to ride one of those! C strapped his little brother in and told him to "hold on!" which of course alarmed the small child, until he started sloooooowly moving up the stairs along the railing. I call next!) Unfortunately, both Brennen and C subsequently ended up ill--with fevers, chest congestion, and even bloody noses. I'm in "hold me back" mode for setting out with a vanload of Clorox, Lysol, and every soap I can get my hands on, lol :)
Easter morning, Brennen still wasn't feeling well. Since he has something church-related basically every day of the week, I figured he'd be okay to sleep in this one Easter service :) G$ got up and went to church with us, though--all dressed up in a suit and tie! I got to see my brother's family as they were leaving the service ahead of the one we chose, and then after ours, we headed home to finish up preparations for Chase and Gabby's arrival.
We brunched on apple baked oatmeal, a spicy sausage egg bake, fruit salad, smoothies (old school recipe), and the lemon blueberry loaf (cake :) Buck brought home. I made banana bread, too, but saved that for the boys' breakfasts--although neither ended up going to work today. Anyhoo, it was all very tasty, and Brennen even joined us towards the end of our meal.
We also mixed in a mini birthday celebration for our new son-in-law, and Chase got to open the starter prepper kit Buck ordered for him. He was pretty excited and said he didn't have many of the things contained in that densely packed bag. I think the multitool hammer/axe/etc. was the coolest!




.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)




.jpg)
.jpg)


1 comment:
It seems like the mixture of extreme emotions has been a commonality in our lives Tthe past year or more.
Post a Comment