Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Almost 50


Buck goes to bed early. Usually, like tonight, I find projects to work on and just leave the TV on for background noise. However . . . a New Kids on the Block reunion concert in London (along with the Backstreet Boys, who were not really my jam) was playing on some station I've never heard of when I scrolled through the program menu. I switched the channel over--and then laughed for like the next two hours! 

The Aging Guys on the Stage were doing their old choreography, trying to hit the high notes they could hit in their 20s, every woman in the audience was at least my age (some older). All of the *New Kids*--nearly 50 years old, singing songs about teenaged love 🤣

I will say though--I finally caught an inkling of why people go to concerts that feature the music they listened to when they were younger. The lyrics I hadn't heard in 20 years (okay 25) came instantly to mind. Some of the tunes transported me to my middle school bedroom, where posters of the NKOTB and pictures torn from teen magazines were taped to my wall. 

There's this bizarre connection to the past that comes through the music, that makes you remember what it felt like to be that age, to be that enamored with a band, to awaken some of that other version of yourself from a lifetime ago. I had no idea. It was just crazy! And amusing! And a little awkward (some of those dance moves should have been retired when the band broke up the first time :) But it was kind of fun reviving some of that tweeny nostalgia I didn't know I had (and sending Buck this New Kid selfie the next morning, ha!)

1 comment:

Grandma Judi said...

I can still remember many of the lyrics to my favorite songs when I was in high school. And some songs do bring back specific memories....most of them good!!!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...