Sunday, July 22, 2018

New Experiences

Remember that soap Caelan made? Well, the best we can figure, it was the culprit in this--her first onset of hives. It's been almost two weeks and she's stopped using the soap (except on her hands). If I had to guess, I'd blame the dye additive or the knock-off essential oil scent she bought (we have the real stuff, but she wanted to try something different). Just before youth group, she turned red and splotchy! Buck wanted to take her to the ER, but I keep a supply of Benadryl on hand for all the strange skin things these children have written into their DNA. Within an hour, she was pretty much back to normal, although the hivey spots under her chin do appear now and again.




On a more fun note, Caelan got her first paycheck at work! Pretty exciting stuff! We made her pose for a picture, even though she thought we were weird ;)





The next day it was POURING rain, and I thought this would be a good opportunity for the girls to get some weather driving practice. Caelan did a good job getting us to the other side of town. To her surprise, I requested that she drive through the narrow bank lane to deposit her check with the teller. It was all very grown-upy! She did the deposit, asked for some cash back, didn't hit any walls or bank structures, and we were good to go :) My picture attempt wasn't fast enough--when I put the camera up she was smiling at me with her, "Are you serious, Mom?" smile. I guess the teller didn't want to look at my camera either :)



Gabby also got a chance to drive in the rain. It was the first time Gabby had Caelan for a passenger and the first time Caelan had Gabby for a driver . . . it was the first time I've taken new drivers on the slippery roads and visibility-impaired streets of our town (we mostly stuck to the expansive mall parking lot, but Gabby did get mixed into some traffic there). 

Overall, it was a good learning experience, and probably the most important lesson--when the sky is dumping BUCKETS of water from above, requiring those needing to leave the vehicle to go into a building . . . forging a raging water puddle the size of a small pond . . . we don't park on the opposite side of the parking lot. Lol! I walked in SOAKED to the bone, hair dripping in my eyes, and had to do a Kleenex dry off session while shivering in the intensely air-conditioned place of business. Pretty sure they will both remember to park closer next time :)

2 comments:

C and G said...

what?? you didn't enjoy a second shower?? I thought the two rows over from the door was pretty good...��

Grandma Judi said...

It's great to document that first paycheck...that's a big deal!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...