Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Garden Goodies

An unusual find in the garden expanse . . . one solitary cucumber!! Apparently it had grown to just the perfect size, because when we next looked--the chickens had pecked it into a hollow green shell. I guess they don't like the peels on their veggies either :)


But, we were super excited that the first of our melons (not one that we planted, but one that something transferred from the other garden into the watermelon garden, though it is oddly more fully grown and ready to be eaten than those we planted intentionally . . . ??) was ready to harvest! Actually, it was just laying on the ground next to the vine, no longer connected, so I figured if it's not going to grow any more, I might as well bring it in and slice it up :) It smelled soooooo good through the rind! I don't even like this kind of melon, but I do love how it smells. Hooray for garden produce we can actually eat (well, that everyone else can actually eat :)




Graysen dug up a round of white potatoes--they're not huge, but they are tasty :)



And here is our impressive corn harvest!! First crop--the second is looking more promising, except I had to pull about six stalks because the tomatoes were growing over the top of them. 





As you can see--not much edible in the crop, lol. I think I boiled two of the half dozen ears (I'm adding the wee little bits together to make full ears ;), but we didn't get them eaten yet. Pretty exciting though, right?! Once you grow corn, I'm pretty sure that makes you an official farmer. We're so official!

1 comment:

Grandma Judi said...

The potatoes look great...is that a cantaloupe? It looks good.

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...