Friday, April 12, 2019

Testing . . . Testing . . .

As usual, we're crazy busy around here! However, we can pack a lot into one day and still be okay (for awhile). It turns out my friend with the little boy who loves chickens is an absolute math genius AND she loves to teach Algebra--go figure! B and I were at point where I couldn't explain concepts to him in a way he'd understand and he was just on the verge of understanding what I was trying to explain. He gladly accepted the idea of Mrs. H coming over to give him a quick lesson. It was awesome! I checked my stack of school work, he said "Ohhhhh!" a bunch of times (light bulbs turning on above his head, throwing light all over the room), G$ played with my friend's little ones (who of course also took a trip to see the outdoor and indoor chickens), while the girls worked on prepping for their afternoon of testing. Hooray for smart friends! I sent her home with dozens of fresh chicken eggs, she promised me a loaf of her freshly baked bread--love this community!!



This year, we decided to try something new. It's called the CLT10 . . . for ninth and tenth graders (they have one, I just discovered, for middle school as well, so B might be next :) Unlike the ITBS it is free. The girls could submit their scores to Christian colleges and start receiving information on what those campuses have to offer, as well as get in the running for scholarships (maybe next time). 

Testing is only offered a handful of times each year, it requires a proctor (me :), and takes less than three hours. It is all done online and they know their test scores same day (both girls scored above what an "average" ACT/SAT equivalent to the CLT would be). It seems like a great way to practice college entrance exams (although this isn't) minus the Common Core confusion (which they wouldn't have a clue about), and they get to read segments of presidential speeches (Woodrow Wilson), and passages from C.S. Lewis. Kind of cool!

1 comment:

Grandma J said...

Glad Brennen was able to get some tutoring...different learning styles of kids makes it challenging when their style is different than the teacher's style! How cool that the kids are getting an opportunity to take a test and get some college information....it is sneaking up here quickly!!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...