Friday, August 16, 2019

Grumpy Day Update

I will get my memories about last weekend on the blog, but in the meantime, here are some updates from my very grumpy, frustrating moments last week.

1. The air conditioner managed to keep up for two whole days (the outside temps didn't reach above 80 and there was no sunshine). It was positively chilly in here :) I decided to try turning the air down lower than normal to see if the house would stay cool. I sort of forgot to lower it more today when it is actually hot and sunny out. I guess I'll better test my theory another day (it is two degrees behind currently, the usual is five).

2. My vacuum is fixed!! Yay for parts that arrive sooner than expected!! Buck also got the Nitro fixed, the hydraulics in the rear hatch had failed so it took two people to unload groceries (one to hold the trunk open :) Buck's been driving the Nitro since his car is making a weird humming sound. We'll get that fixed this fall . . . and the van with its four impact points (I need the sweat dripping emoji face here).

3. School planning . . . non-stop for two days! Yesterday 12 hours, today . . . well, up until this brain break. I filled two rooms with piles of almost done, done, done forever, put away til next year, and get rolling for this. Yesterday, Caelan took her Spanish final test (midway technically, but final for us), and we decided her research paper was complete, too (we're never getting back to the library to check page numbers in her source book). Got final grades printed for the older three and filed all their end-of-summer work. Sigh of relief! I've put in about seven hours so far today, with many more to go. 

It was amazing to stay home all of rainy yesterday . . . we watched Sesame Street, Wild Kratts, some goofy Disney shows, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding (well, not all of it). All the while I sat on the floor and worked on school. Today the plan was much the same, except the girls strongly wanted to go to the overnight youth retreat our church is hosting. Buck and I couldn't attend (he's got inventory) and the boys have already missed two football practices. Last minute though, my NGF said she'd pick the girls up (she's helping with high school now), so away they go. And back to school planning I will soon go.



4. Water heater seems to be working fine and we have PLENTY of laundry detergent.

5. Buck's foot follow-up appointment happened a couple days ago. His surgery point is healing fine; the doctor poked it with a needle and made it bleed, just to make sure. He had x-rays for his intense foot pain and discovered he has collapsing arches in both feet (on the top of his feet), plantar fasciitis in both bottom feet (worse in the right, tiny microscopic tears from overuse and collapsing arches), and the beginnings of bone spurs in both heels (from the plantar fasciitis). He's supposed to stretch his feet 30 minutes a day, use an ice bottle for massage and inflammation reduction, never go barefoot, always wear his custom arch supports, and hopefully in three to six months he will be better and will not require surgery. Oh, in the meantime he got two gnarly shots of cortisone, one in each foot which made him cringe significantly, but reduced his pain immediately. And also made him less inclined to do the full measure of prescribed treatment, but he has been stretching (a little ;)

6. I still haven't made any meals, but our pastor's family brought us chicken and potatoes and chocolate cake when we got back from our difficult weekend.  That was nice! Buck grilled on Tuesday evening. Wednesday the youth group fed us. Last night, I'm pretty sure I ate banana bars that Gabby baked. They are delicious!

7. I think those are all the updates off the top of my head . . . oh, we mixed the chickens 4 old, 4 young and 3 old, 3 young in the two coops. Hopefully they will learn to get a long better and the older chickens can teach the youngers to actually lay eggs in a nest rather than wherever they happen to be at the moment :) 



The puppy has been challenging. He learned how to "play" with the doggies at my mom's house. Now he follows Chauncey around and barks and whines at him, trying to get him to play. Mr. N has been in kennel time outs more often than roaming free this week. You can only get a dog so wet with spray bottle correction (Buck and I went to lunch after his foot appointment, and found this pocket-sized spray bottle for Caelan at Target :). Puppy's still eating socks and other miscellaneous items . . . he threw one up at my sister's house. All the doors are closed in our house most of the time; he's a lot of work. Maybe that's why Caelan wanted to go to camp in another state tonight :)


8. Buck's boss seems to have lightened up a bit. He's granting vacation requests left and right, and even sent us flowers!



1 comment:

Grandma J said...

I know I'll be seeing you in November, but just want to remind you that you have a "no expiration offer" of me staying with the kids while you two get some time together! Your life is so crazy busy!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...