Another little adventure packed into our busy week--the fridge started making a terrible sound! When we would open the door, it would grind down like something caught in the spokes of a bicycle.
I did some online research and discovered it could be ice buildup behind the cooling panel. I watched a dude fully disassemble his fridge, including the wiring, and run a blow dryer inside. I decided I would just empty it, put our space/baby chicken heater on full blast, and wait to clean it until I knew if I was getting a new one :)
Caelan somehow managed to fit our fully packed fridge and freezer items into the fully packed garage fridge and freezer!
We did a test plug in, and it stayed quiet . . . but then the noise started up again! The interwebs say that fridges last about 12 years--ours passed that mark a year ago. With a new washer and dryer sitting in the garage, and a new dishwasher sitting in the kitchen, I thought, "Oh, no, not you too!! Not when I just cleaned you!" Buck decided to try the old-fashioned way of fixing things . . . he hit it really hard! Lol! But I kid you not, the sound stopped, it cooled down to the correct temperature, and has been quiet as a mouse ever since :)
I guess the moral to this story is, before you spend $1600 on another new appliance, try punching it in the motor and see what happens! I think our family's inventive fix-it nature has rubbed off on him over the past couple of decades ;)




No comments:
Post a Comment