Saturday, February 1, 2025

January Summary on February First

I'm not even sure what I'm summarizing, but we'll see where this goes! We successfully got G$ enrolled in college! He didn't want posed first day photos, so this is what I got :)


A friend posted a video of a really cute project to use up extra bits of fabric. I have plenty of those, including several shirts from my dad's collection. I decided to try to replicate the idea, because it looked fun. Well, it turned out to be one of the most difficult and time-consuming projects I've tried. AND my sewing machine REFUSED to cooperate!! It kept making nests of thread on the bottom, and I tried every single stinking thing I could think of and all of those the interwebs could suggest. Eventually, I just set everything back to normal, kept the new presser foot on with the heavy duty needle, prayed, and it worked as if there hadn't been a single problem. This was days later. After I cried. Because I was sooooooo frustrated. But it turned out cute! Some of Buck's shirts and some other highlights from baby quilts and covid masks mixed in :)




We invited the yearlyweds, maybe I should call them the babyweds, no that sounds weird, the farmyweds? Chase and Gabby over for dinner last Sunday. Buck found super thin pork chops that reminded him of the kind his mom always made when he was growing up. He cooked the whole package and made potatoes and various other foods . . . while I talked to Caelan for two hours on the phone :) It turned out that Gabby wasn't feeling up to leaving the house, after all, but the boys both came home and chowed down, then watched some play-off football. It's nice to have them both home!




I finally went to the doctor to get my sore arm checked out. He said I have rotator cuff tendonitis on the left, a swollen/aggravated nerve in my right thumb (I forgot to mention the pinched nerve in my right shoulder) and basically what this all boils down to is . . . I have to take a bunch of medicine for a week, start PT, and get a new desk. Buck was right :)

In order to get a new desk, we had to make some space. So, Brennen decided to pull his bed apart and move it to the new 5Guys house. He's not fully living there yet, still waiting for a job to make rent payments, but he does stay there most nights, so it's nice to have his bed :) This meant disassembling the downstairs behemoth and relocating it back to its original location--the girls' room, or most recently, Brennen's abode. This way, he still has a place to sleep when he's here.



It seems like a pretty quick process when I type it in a paragraph, but woooeeee was that a physically demanding afternoon! We were glad Brennen stuck around before church group to help us with the process! Buck and I moved the bed's staircase shelving back into the classroom from the garage, because, without the behemoth, there is no longer any storage :) We are in the process of also moving the treadmill back inside from the garage, and I'm super excited about that! Buck moved the schoolboards behind the door and hung up senior picture posters. Oh, and I ordered a new desk! The classroom/guestroom/office/storage room is transforming into something new again . . . we'll see how it turns out :) We may call it Hodgepodge Central. But after four months of not being able to lift my left arm, if a room reset and new workspace is what I need to make it better moving forward, it's worth the effort now!


Let's see--Brennen sold his broken car, and is in the process of buying a Civic from the coworker of a friend from the proceeds. The coworker is a smoker, so trying to gut that aroma from the interior before the sale is complete.

Oh, our TV broke. Idk how long we've had it, but it's been most of the time we've lived here. It's been repaired once because I wrote a blog about not having a TV for a whole week while the repairman came from out of state--that's been years ago. With no warning, we turned it on a few days ago and it did this . . .


None of the online troubleshooting options helped, so we grabbed Brennen's from his room (he said we could) for the interim. Then Buck got an "old people eyes" sized one for a very reasonable price, and brought it home as a replacement. Graysen was as excited as his dad to help unbox that big boy, lol! I'm pretty sure the box is the size of a twin mattress, and Buck said he could have gotten a 75 inch for like $75 more, but he didn't think it would fit on our TV stand. So, we'll stick with the 65, which is an upgrade from the 55, and now we can see life-sized people do home renovations, ha :)



Other highlights . . . Buck and I went see Mr. M shoot some hoops! That was really fun; I'm amazed at how well those kids play as second graders! One little guy had a breakaway for the basket and I resisted the urge to yell, "Dunk it!!" IDK, maybe he could have :) I would share a photo, but it didn't save to my phone.

The weather has been wonky--no snow, but very cold some days, very warm others. Brennen and I recreated a science experiment one day while he was hanging out. We kept forgetting about the water in the microwave while we were chatting, so we never did get it to boil. But we got a nice steam 'splosion from throwing it into the air :)


Let's see, Graysen got his first cavities filled--Brennen wondered at the milk dribbling down his brother's chin, but didn't say anything :) Buck had one inventory and is currently on a 12-hour shift doing another. I've had a couple of video chats with friends in Rwanda, which has been cool! I've also had lots of training meetings for work, and am going into the office more frequently than I probably want to be, lol :) Daisy has been extremely naughty, chasing my chickens when it was really nice out yesterday. Graysen helped me take down some more of the Christmas decorations and get the birds restocked on food and water--seemed like a good time to free range until Daisy's herding instincts (which she's not supposed to have) kicked in. That's not her only naughty trick--she's been barking a lot more and puking woodchips and tearing up toys and . . . the list goes on and on. I'm guessing she's a bored puppy, and I'm too busy to entertain her. Yes, that's probably the diagnosis. Sigh. Maybe I can take her for walks on the treadmill . . .

No comments:

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...