I also have learned a few lessons myself, namely . . . teach the same thing to different levels and everyone is happy (it is possible, and it is wonderful! Only took my five years to figure it out, right? :) Another important lesson--don't start all the subjects at once, ease in, don't overwhelm. We've had fewer tears this year than any of the others, school gets completely finished each day, so I don't feel like we're playing catch-up, and they are enjoying it! Whoo-hoo!
Intrigued aren't you?
I retraced my steps to the boys' room and grabbed the VERY full bucket of Legos . . . when I popped the lid off, I just about tossed my cookies, there was an unmistakeable potty smell drowning those treasured little plastic blocks.
The next morning I asked the boys, neither of whom could remember or would confess to having done this. I honestly mostly believed them, but obviously SOMEONE used the bucket as a toilet. "Maybe Chauncey?" (sure, blame it on the dog). "Maybe a robber broke in the house and HE peed in the Lego bucket." An interesting theory, but I'm skeptical . . . basically, they were throwing out possible explanations to get their Legos back . . . Legos that were in "time out" until the truth be told.
As the day went on, I found myself in a conundrum . . . neither boy seemed to remember what happened, and didn't seem to be covering each other's tracks. But what if they were? Should I return the toys and reward their deceit? Or wait for a confession, which Graysen eventually gave, "Mom. I did it." Why? "Well, maybe I didn't want Brennen to build?" Hmmm, shakey reasoning, and he didn't even seem to believe himself. So, do I reward the deceit of a false confession? What's a mom to do?
Sure enough, the next night I hear crashing coming from the boys room. Graysen is in the corner, next to a box of Matchbox cars, trying to find a place to "go." I lead him to the bathroom, where he takes care of his business. Then I walk out, expecting my tired little buddy to follow me. He does not. I walk back into the bathroom to check on him and find him . . . in the shower!! Just kind of wandering around in confused circles. So I get him out of the shower and start steering him back to bed. He heads toward our room instead of his own, so I steer him again in the right direction. Allthewhile, I knew the Legos were being returned that night.
Graysen was the culprit (not a robber or our pet) and he didn't remember it because he was basically asleep! Feeling more impressed that he hadn't peed on my carpet, than upset that I had to bleach the Legos (which, let's be honest, probably needed the bath in the first place) and my mommy mystery of the day was solved with a positive outcome. Whew! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment