Saturday, June 8, 2013

Easter Eggs?

Yes, I am behind . . .  waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind--but then we sold, bought, packed, unpacked, settled, painted, and established a new home in the last few weeks, so, been kinda busy, you know? :)

I'm going to throw some Easter Egg pics at the blog right now. I sigh when I think of Easter Eggs. It was something I always enjoyed as a kid, and want to continue the tradition for my kids, but it is just SUCH a frustrating process for me! I don't know why exactly, but when Buck's mom was here to do it for me last year (while I was helping a friend get her house painted, a very pregnant friend :) it was SUCH a relief. There is just something about Easter Egg coloring that makes me grouchy. Every.year.

I started off well in 2013, I really did. But then I realized in the midst of our moving process, I hadn't resupplied my vinegar collection--had a little white, had a little cider, had not even close to enough for more than one dish of a vague, faded color on a good day.

Soooooo, I tried lemon juice (as the packaged so *helpfully* instructed. Four excited kids, the newspaper on the table, dreams of epic egg designs flying, more than one egg *accidentally* dropped and cracked . . . one increasingly grouchy mama. My cheerful, sunny plans quickly fizzled out, unlike the color pellets which just sat there with nary a bubble indicating their plans to dissolve into wondrous colors for my waiting children.

Enter the spoon to crush them (the pellets, not the kids :)

I don't know, I hope they come away with better memories of egg coloring than I feel like I'm providing. Maybe we'll come up with something entirely different for 2014, fingerpaints or something . . . somebody send me an e-mail in April to remind me :)


If I remember correctly, my son, who requested this "Good Guy" shirt to wear with his homemade costume (love it) was crying because of his grouchy mommy's fun-sucking mood during the Easter Egg coloring event, so we may not have recorded that scene with an everlasting digital image . . . instead enjoy these entertaining snapshots of my youngest in lieu of festive eggs being dipped in plastic cups :)





No comments:

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...