Sunday, December 31, 2017

New Year, New Chores

So a couple of years ago, I thought I was being all smart and took in a set of 16 chore charts--one for each kid for each of four weeks--to be photo copied for the year. Well, I miscalculated and about passed out when the bill was $50 . . . but what do you do? The print shop lady made exactly what I ordered; it was totally my mistake!

We decided to just keep using these chore charts until they were used up . . . and then several items became irrelevant through maturity or décor changes in our house (can't clean the bunkbed stairs or the dollhouse if they no longer exist).

I have RESISTED the lengthy process of restructuring our system once again, but it--inevitably--became completely necessary. So, for the past several days I have built FROM SCRATCH my very own set of 16 chore charts for the Crew! I asked for lots of input, since the kids know how long chores take and which responsibilities mesh well together. As a result, we restructured our animal care duties to cover an entire week, rather than just a couple days of the week. We eliminated many of the "they've got this figured out now" tasks, and increased responsibilities in other areas--like kitchen cleaning. It was a mighty huge project, but we are well into day one with no huge confusions on my organizational part :)

Oh and that giant stack of pre-printed chore charts that would easily last the choring-crew until college? We're printing the new charts on the blank side of the old charts--I can maybe get a little of my investment back that way ;)


No comments:

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...