Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Newlyweds

Sunday morning at church, the little church, we had no idea that we would be saying "I do" all over again. There are two pastors who take turns teaching on Sunday mornings. To our surprise, the one who didn't do the teaching, who had been wearing his usual blue jeans and flannel shirt at the beginning of the service, suddenly appeared in a full suit and tie.


He invited a couple forward. This couple decided when they were very young, that every five years they would renew their wedding vows. Their anniversary fell on Groundhog's Day, so this Sunday morning happened to be the closest to their wedding date. On this, their 55th wedding anniversary, they invited every couple in the church to join them as they renewed their vows! Wow.

All through the church, you saw husbands and wives turning towards each other, holding hands, promising all over again with the pastor and this unique couple.

"In sickness and in health . . ."

To the traditional vows, the pastor added this promise, "To only you, I commit my eyes and my body 'til one of us dies or Christ Jesus returns." 

Wow!

There were sweet tears throughout the church; imagine the possible reconciliations that took place, the children watching their parents promise forever, but this time in their presence. I just loved every second of it! 

And then the 11-time groom took the microphone and began to sing to his bride of over half a century:

With this ring I Thee wed an angel here beside me,
A moment more and heaven will be mine.
With this ring I Thee wed as ev'ry dream inside me.
Comes true each time I hear the church bells chime.
This little band of gold I hold will soon be on your finger,
A vow and now that moment so divine.
With this ring I Thee wed, and make you mine forever
To have and to hold until the end of time.

With our hearts tied as one we leave the church together,
Together as we know we'll always be.
In a life just begun this day will live forever 
Like blossoms in a treasured memory.
Your big bouquet may fade away but as the years go by, dear
I'll take your hand each day and say anew:
With this ring I Thee wed, I vow I love you truly 
And every day you'll hear me say "I do."
Then the tears were really flowing! Just a guitar (played by the worship leader who looks like Kylo Ren :) and a man who loves his wife. Wow.

After pronouncing us all husbands and wives again, the pastor announced, "Husbands--you may kiss your bride!" There was a whole lotta smooching in Sunday church last week, let me tell you!

And just like that, after all these years, we are newlyweds again :)

1 comment:

Grandma Judi said...

What an amazing experience and sight that must have been - I'm getting misty eyed just reading this.

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...