Saturday, March 23, 2019

Don't Hem Me In

I wonder where that expression comes from? Perhaps a seamstress whose neck ached from bending over a tiny needle trying to make a seam invisible on a fancy pair of dress pants from the discount clearance store? Maybe. That was my experience, ha!



1. Step one--buy unhemmed pants that are approximately six inches too long, compare with current dress pant collection length, pin. Have husband try on said pants, pin again.

2. Watch youtube video and read 12-step process for hemming a man's dress pant "professionally."

3. Match the thread and do something like this on the inside of the pant leg . . .



. . . which ends up looking something like THIS on the outside of the pant leg . . .



. . . which for sure isn't going to look right (because the "seamstress" was too worried about cutting the finished unfinished edge to actually remove any fabric, so this very non-invisible line would hit at mid calf range, instead of at the typical cuff elevation--not ideal).

4. Step four--take out everything you've done and start over, this time catching the "one or two threads" on the box pattern of the pant fabric in hopes that it will be more invisible-r (that's a word if I hyphenate it :)



. . . which ends up looking like this on the outside . . .



. . . which I think is better. We'll see at the gala if the lighting works for unprofessionally tailored pants to not be too noticeable :) And the good news is, if Buck has a growth spurt, I'll still be able to let these pants out and he can keep wearing them until he's approximately 6 feet 7 inches tall! :)

No comments:

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...