I've become the crazy chicken lady. Waiting for the shipment of Barred Rock babies to be delivered to our local feed store was like waiting for my birthday or Christmas to arrive (I almost said like waiting for a real baby to be born, but I don't know if I'm quite to that level of crazy . . . yet ;) I've thought the plumage on Barred Rock chickens is so beautiful and unique for years. I cannot wait to see them strutting around in our yard this summer!Anyway, after nearly two weeks of waiting, I called to find out what time they would arrive--in the next two hours. When I could take it no longer . . . Graysen and I loaded into the van and went to pick out and pick up our new wee chickens.

\

Goodness are they cute! White dots on their heads and on their bums, with a few tip feathers tinged in white. We got them home to the "big" chickens (who looked so little before) and were shocked at just how much the month old chicks have grown--they are huge! (especially Charmin--I hope she's not a rooster).


It was so sweet how the bigger babies would cuddle in next to the little ones to keep them warm. Hints of motherly instinct (that they'll never practice) showing already in their young age--like little girls playing with baby dolls :)
And on the same day . . . three boxes of books arrived for next school year! It was like a jackpot of awesomeness! I love new books and new chickens, so I was having a pretty good day. The kids are super enthusiastic too, right?! :)


One more nice change, music lessons were held at our house that day. Unfortunately our music teacher's basement flooded, so they are in the process of ripping out all that mess and recarpeting. It sure was nice to not have to haul instruments across town, and for me to be able to meal plan and check school, and switch laundry while lessons were happening.
Our teacher just started teaching drum lessons to our neighbors' son, so it was funny to see him pull out of their driveway, and then come into ours :) Talk about convenient! And FINALLY, he told us in person that he and his wife are expecting their first baby!! I've known about this since December, but wasn't going to ask until he mentioned. He said he planned to tell us right away and just kept forgetting while we were there for lessons.
Anyway, fun day, and Buck got to see the kids play worship band for the first time. Caelan led two songs on guitar instead of piano this time. Next week they're switching it up again. Gabby on a different instrument and mic'ed. Pretty cool!

You'll see in the photo below, they also had to switch up their rehearsal space this week :) The carpeters FINALLY came to the church, but on the worst possible day (besides Sunday) when the building is packed from top to bottom with people for band and choir and childcare. Caelan's preschool music class went really well though--there's some talent in those kids, ha!

1 comment:
I hope I get to hear the youth band when I come to visit.
Post a Comment