Tuesday, July 30, 2019

VBS

Our kids love VBS! Since they've outgrown the age range for attending, they are all-in volunteers for the annual event. This year we skipped VBS at our old big church, and focused on VBS at our new little church. After the movie with our friends, I dropped the girls off and they spent HOURS setting up and decorating. The boys and I grabbed some groceries, took care of the puppies and the chickens (SO hot!!), and then joined the girls for some additional set-up for the big week.



Our ancient Greek theme went into effect Monday evening (first time we've done an evening VBS, I liked it better! All the exhausting stuff was done just in time for bed, instead of at the start of the day). I think the reason it is exhausting, well, beside the extenuating circumstances of medical diagnosis, emergency situations, and general not-knowing, is because there is such a focus on building kids up in the Lord that the spiritual side of VBS is a battle too. But, God wins! We were all so thankful when one little girl recognized her need for Jesus and tearfully prayed to make Him her Savior, and then the joy on that little face afterwards! Wow! Good is good! And that's just one story. 

There were at least 80 kids in attendance, I had 10 in my group, aged four through 10--they wanted it to be intergenerational like a family would be. Graysen was my assistant (he's really good at it). BTW togas were "required" attire. I used the "curtains" from our circus wagon for last year's classroom design. Super flattering :)


Caelan and Gabby were shopkeepers. This involved a little acting, as not all people in Athens believed in Jesus during the time of Paul (New Testament). They loved playing these rolls! Caelan even brought her guitar to her "music shop" and led the kids in bonus worship songs while they worked on their crafts. Gabby is just so good with kids, she made everyone feel welcome and loved! 





Brennen helped with the arena games outside--he was being trained as an Olympian! Getting pelted with frisbees and pool noodles was all in a day's work for him. He got to serve with some buddies, so that made things even more fun for him. I'm so glad they enjoy serving God!



Graysen wanted in on the Olympic training session that allowed him to chase his brother with a pool noodle a-swinging :)

And Brennen was quite the horseman, and then horse, in the chariot races.


Buck was working overnighters, so he was able to help the first three days of VBS. He did everything from hanging out with my Oikos group to being the petting zoo guy (since the man bringing farm animals got the flu), to spending more than two hours in the nursery with a whole lotta babies :) Quite a guy! And as you can see, Chauncey got in on the act as well, official Athens pup for petting at VBS 2019 :)


Overall the children raised about $500 to send to the orphanage our church supports in Africa! I love that they chose this as the mission outreach project. I think the kids learned a lot about life in another culture. Oh, and speaking of other cultures, our VBS director hired Greek dancers to come and teach the kids traditional dances on the last day. And on the last day, they played an incredibly sweet and sad song that says in the final verse . . .

"And with your final heartbeat
Kiss the world goodbye
Then go in peace, and laugh on Glory's side, and
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus and live!
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus
Fly to Jesus and live!"


I lost it, I was weeping, thinking of my dad. Our youth pastor, who is about dad's age, caught me (I was trapped at the back of the room) and let me sob on his shoulder. Our other pastor wanted to pray with me, but he needed to go on stage and get cheese-balled by the leaders (the agreement if the girls raised more money than the boys during the week). I pulled myself together, and we made it home to greet our guests, but boy, was that a difficult night! First I had to tell the kids that grandpa's life was now being measured in hours. Oh my goodness so heartbreaking. I'm all out of timeline order again though.

All for God's glory! It's not about us. I'm so glad my kids had that time to honor God and be distracted in the midst of all our family had going on.

1 comment:

Grandma J said...

Such joy and such sadness combined...it's impossible not to weep. Jess, you and Buck are amazing parents and you are raising amazing children.

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...