Sunday, August 7, 2022

Staycation Day 6

Hot, hot, hot! Heat advisories all over the place! We all rolled out of bed earlier than we wanted to. The boys had a flag football kick-off event with all the other area teams. Lots of kids are still detasseling, like Noah, so the turnout was maybe less than expected, but I'm told our boys had some wins in the throwing and punting skills challenges.

Meanwhile, Caelan and I attended her much-anticipated allergist appointment, which was wanh-wanh. The doctor basically said, "You must have touched something with your hand, and then touched your eye. It will probably never happen again. Also, don't touch your face." He didn't think the throat thing was related, IDK. He didn't do any testing, he just said if she has any further problems to bring her in while she is reacting and they'll maybe be able to find out what it is. He said, "we have a bullet, but no smoking gun." So, we came home to wait for the boys, to start laundry, and to work on cleaning the house--which still looks like something erupted in here.

Apparently during this time, my sister, one of my only readers, was at our nephew's birthday party and we completely missed her and the fam. Drat! By the time we got out there, it was early afternoon. We had a good time visiting with extended family, but I didn't take a single picture. Which fits in line with the not a single picture that Buck took at the football event. This will almost be a without a single picture blog post . . .

Except, we changed our staycation plan to go to a new-to-us putt-putt course and then a drive-in movie (super cool!) 1. because it was still blazing hot outside 2. because the kids weren't super excited about the cartoon dog movie showing and 3. we had another invitation. Our NGFs volunteer run a movie theater in a small town. They said they were showing Thor: Love and Thunder, which Caelan and I had not yet seen. We decided an air-conditioned movie for half the price sounded better than sweating it out for double. When we got ready to load into the van, we discovered the low-pressure warning light we'd gotten as we drove away from my brother's house had come to fruition. The back passenger tire was empty to the rim.

Gabby decided she wanted to stay home for some quiet and decorate a cake, so the other five of us piled into the red car and went to the movie. I didn't like the movie, but I liked that it was not painfully loud--I didn't leave with stress shoulders or a sound headache, yay! Also, my NGF bought Caelan candy because we brought less cash than we thought we needed :) That was sweet. Basically, the four of us who are still coughing and the one of them who is still coughing, took turns adding our own sound effects, coughing. I got a crazy tickle in my throat at the "most touching" point in the movie. Tears were running from my eyes, but it wasn't because of film. So much coughing!

We grabbed a quick pic with my NGF's oldest and then headed home to start the Van Gogh puzzle I bought at the bookstore the previous day. Brennen and I worked on that until he decided it was time for a breathing treatment.


In good news, Gabby's cake turned out really pretty!


In bad news, the place we bought the fridge from called to ask for the serial number so they could get that drawer ordered . . . the drawer we thought they ordered two weeks ago, that would be here next week (forehead slap emoji). The girls improvised when they wanted to make iced coffee. They used a plastic baking tray to catch ice on top of the food, and then shut the ice maker off before we had to pick ice cubes out from between the frozen veggies :)

1 comment:

Grandma J said...

Gabby's becoming quite the cook and baker....I hope to see some of those skills when she comes to visit!!!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...