I'm not sure how long it has been since Gabby started wanting a cat . . . maybe half of forever :) Buck fully supported this wish, and several friends have offered to send us home with kittens over the years. Gabby pointed out that I've said yes to every other critter . . . I have my objections about indoor cats, mostly in the irreversible home destruction category, but I also knew it would make Gabby very happy. So, I've been keeping an eye on the humane society page. A few days ago, this little guy popped up--named the same as my eldest nephew--and Gabby couldn't wait to meet him.
At first, she planned to go alone, but then decided she'd like some other opinions. So, Caelan, Noah, and Chase went with her (the boys and I were at their alumni football game and Buck was at work). They all loved this little kitten, who is supposed to be four months old, but cat-knowledgeable friends think he's quite a bit younger (maybe 10-12 weeks?) He played and he cuddled, and he was the rescue center volunteers' favorite kitten. Gabby decided he was the one--and named him Spax after a line of construction screws in the hardware department of the home improvement store where she works :)
Because Gabby had to work that day, Chase took the kitty to his house after dropping Gabby off at the store. He later picked Gabby up and brought her and the much-awaited kitten home (Buck was practically dancing with anticipation!) Graysen spent part of his afternoon building kitten toys; he gathered, washed, and blow-dried chicken feathers. He wove pipe cleaners through an empty paper towel tube, and he put two tiny wiffle balls into the ends of another for the "fuzz puddle" (as Buck calls the kitten :) to play with. Chase added to the treasure trove with some treats, a colorful, jingly pounce toy, and a tiny brush for grooming.
I should note that before this kitty was even a glimmer in Gabby's eye, Buck brought home kitty litter and kitty food--in bulk! And not just any kitty food, this is the fancy fresh kind, pate . . . I don't think I've even ever had pate, lol! While we were talking about Buck's unexpected purchases, Gabby moved a few things in her room to reveal a litter box, a scoop, and silver food and water dishes--somehow, I think they were teaming up for this whole kitten acquisition; they saw my temporary weakness and realized there was no time to lose! :)
So, today is the first day with Spax. Buck isn't feeling well, and when I got up to find him, he was playing with the kitten downstairs . . . he said it made him feel better :) Gabby, Caelan, and Graysen left for church; Buck, the kitten, and I watched church on TV. To my surprise, the zoomy kitty of last night was suddenly exceptionally cuddly. He slept on my arm and hand pretty much the entire church service, between visits to cuddle with Buck. I've since learned that cats his age sleep approximately 18-20 hours per day . . . so, since it is the first day, and the day we will take by far the most photos, you get a collage of sleeping kitty pics to enjoy :)
He and Chauncey aren't quite friends yet. Chauncey is willing, but Spax is hissy about it. You could see the defeat in Chauncey's eyes, when he came back from a trip outside only to find the kitten curled up in HIS bed, ha! He's such a nice dog; he likely recognizes that we will never stop bringing home strange animals to share his space and our attention, but so far, he's outlasted them all :)
Also, the kitten likes my blanket--and Graysen, who is notoriously attacked by cats!--so here are some pictures of that, too . . .















No comments:
Post a Comment