Thursday, May 4, 2023

Catch Up Time

For at least a year, I've been trying to find alfalfa sprouts in stores--we like to eat them on sandwiches. They have disappeared from every place I've asked (I think I'm up to five grocery-s!) Then . . . I saw my cousin Katie was growing sprouts at home--what?! That's possible? I messaged her and got all the details, and my sprout growing kit arrived a week later. Buck got them started and wowza did they grow fast! Apparently, sprouts are a superfood--fighting everything from diabetes to cancer to menopause symptoms, and Olive likes them too (she's been eating grass, so this seemed healthier :) On our first try--we grew a lot, like a lot A LOT. So, some went to the chickens, some got mixed into other meals, and some are still in the fridge with bagel sandwiches on the meal planning list :)


Last week, Graysen's appointment for his next round of allergy testing arrived . . . he had a lot of needles filled with itchy things and sharp picks with more itchy things poked into his arms. He took it like a champ, even as the blood pooled over all those little holes. Add to cat--dust mites, dust, and dog. Dog??!! Oh snap. He said, "I will suck it up. We are not getting rid of the dog, I love her." He doesn't want to do allergy shots either. He honestly very rarely even remembers to take his regular allergy medications and does okay. But I feel better about knowing and it will be good information for him to have in his back pocket for the future.


While Buck and the boys were on a special weekend adventure, I did my best to complete some of my big projects at home. I filed all the schoolwork and got it graded and ready for the end of the school year (we're so close!) I also finished this cutie baby quilt, custom designed for my former small group girl who is expecting her first baby with her husband next month--I got to go to the baby shower, too! Cows are kind of her thing :)




Later that day, I got to see my nephew play his first soccer game! Some tall, blonde girl knocked him down and about got to meet Auntie J . . . but I remembered, "They are in kindergarten . . . I'm sure she didn't mean to . . . even if the elbow she threw indicated otherwise . . ." hee-hee :) I did get to see some very special ultrasound pictures at that same event!! I'm a very excited auntie!



A few days later, when the guys returned, Graysen drove me around to accomplish some errands and log some road time. On the way back we saw a police car with lights flashing, so I started going over the police car etiquette rules. Oddly, the police car wasn't moving, so my rules didn't apply, but when we got closer, G$ realized, "Oh shoot, that's Caedmon!" 

Yes, for the third (or fourth?) time since he received his license C was having major car trouble. He's totaled three vehicles? (well, the same one twice, mostly not his fault) and had two wheel-offs--which is what was happening when we pulled up. God assembled a team to help out! His buddy Isaiah showed up with a jack. His dad showed up with some tools in a borrowed car. We showed up and I prayed while they worked under the vehicle, on a slant, trying to get the spare down. Our former youth director happened to drive by with his vehicle CHOCK FULL of everything you need in any situation :) Isaiah ran across the street to grab a hammer and said, "Thank God for Ron and his car full of tools." Amen! 

Two posts were snapped and all the lugnuts had disappeared. Caedmon happened to be stuck just outside of an auto parts store, so ran in and bought four replacements. When the truck started rolling with his dad laying right next to it (Ron slowed the roll by throwing his body behind the truck), I ran in to the auto parts store and asked for wedges (I got a brick and an employee :). Graysen provided the muscle to get the tire as secure as possible (good thing he had all those lessons with his dad on tire changing :) and they finally got vehicle out of traffic. At that point, we had to jet, because the boys had golf practice. Graysen told me, "Mom, that totally counts towards my driving hours." Ha, I guess he's right :)


2 comments:

Grandma J said...

Baby quilt is so cute!

The car fiasco sounds pretty crazy!

Grandma J said...

And that fried chicken looks AMAZING!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...