Friday, December 29, 2023

First Day of the Hunt + Arts and Crafts

Look at that sunshine peeking through the windows! While the pups could hardly resist bringing us various bits of the hunter's orange accessories, it did take Daisy a minute to be okay with the guys dressed in camouflage and neon. Initially, Noah planned to stay back at the cabin, so he'd be available for the art classes we'd signed up for (at my cousin's prompting). However, with the new hunting schedule, opportunities to go along were more limited than we anticipated. I'm so glad he decided to join the guys, because it turned out to be a big day of hunting! Noah didn't get a license because out-of-state costs are nutso, but he was an excellent spotter and Buck said he asked a lot of really good questions. Plus, it was pretty cool for Buck to spend the day with his two new sons-in-law, while Brennen and Graysen settled into a blind in another area nearby.








It was pretty exciting when Chase got to take the first shot! He didn't want to be the first hunter, but it really was the only option, so he went for it and got a really nice buck! While they waited to go tag it, another buck wandered into the sights, and Buck was able to get a second deer! In the same evening, wow!


While they were doing the hunting and gathering, Caelan and I joined my twin cousins and their niece Maggie (who is also my cousin :) to make grapevine wreaths at the county park. I should mention that the cabin we are staying in used to be a shelter house that housed family gatherings when I was young. In fact, I vaguely remember seeing my great grandma walk down the path for her birthday party when I was barely older than a toddler. In later years, I remember paper plates sagging under the weight of potluck food and green screen doors slamming open and closed as people went in and out with their dinners. 

Likewise, I remember family gatherings at the improved (indoor bathroom, no outhouse!) shelter by the lake where our weekend's classes were held. Mostly, I remember being down at the beach and playing in the water, but other things (like the clean up sign above the exit) remain the same :) I also remember my mom gathering grapevine for the wreaths she made to take to craft fairs when I was a kid. She soaked hers in water to make them more pliable--and probably to kill off whatever biting bugs were still hiding among the branches in this pile. Wowza, the most itchy, puffy, swelling, did I mention itchy? bites I've had in recent memory--on both of my hands, fingers, and wrists . . . I'm talking a solid week of puffed-up itchiness even with essential oils and cortisone cream! But the class was super fun--and I'm pretty sure I made the wonkiest wreath of all, lol!







BeReal went off as we were cleaning up from the wreath-making class and waiting for the painting class to begin. Gabby had gone over to L's house to do some of her online work in steady wifi. She was more interested in the painting than the wreaths :) I fully enjoyed spending the day with my cousins and daughters, who now they have some memories in the buildings I remember from childhood--not to mention artistic treasures we brought home as lifelong keepsakes!! ;)




I must say, I was quite pleased with my background effect on the canvas--you know, that thing I completely forgot to begin with for my sister's portrait? Paintings can layer; they don't reserve their own space for each element--mindboggling! I joked with the older Spanish-speaking lady who distributed the paint dollops on paper plates in front of us . . . being a novice artist and all . . . "Don't eat it, right?" She looked at me, shocked. "Looks like chocolate," I joked. Oh, did she get the giggles then! Playing along, she squirted out brown, "Milk chocolate," and white, "White chocolate!" giggling all the while :) 




Gabby's painting, of course, turned out great! Her little snow guy with the leather jacket and sunglasses and herself with curly branch hair and glasses--adorbs! I was encouraged to add arms to my snow lady and went with Gabby's idea of the hands-on-hips version--I was only going to do one arm, but was told that looked weird, so added a second, which certainly increased the sass factor! Painting is never-ending in fixing just "one more thing." I see a lot of parallels in painting to writing and editing, but I'm not too concerned about editing these posts, lol. There are too many of them waiting to strive for perfection!




Pink hat and scarf for the snow lady and dapper top hat for the snowman--of course!


I love how we all followed the same step-by-step instructions, with the same instructor and the same supplies, but each painting turned out so differently! My snow chicken, well, I'm rather proud of it ;) Gabby left before the final photo, because she was excited to get back to Chase to hear about this first deer! And we were running a bit later than expected, so the guys picked up the gas station pizza my cousin L (the volunteer one) ordered and paid for, so thoughtful! My cousin A (the hunter coordinator) and two of his kids (including the one who crafted with us all afternoon) joined us for dinner! He brought venison stew--and it was so good, the best I've had since my dad used to make his version with bright yellow corn kernels in it. Yum!

After dinner, Noah taught those who were still awake (Gabby was pretty sleep-deprived from her crazy work schedule) how to play poker. It was funny if Caelan had a hand that was super good and rare--she would fold, not realizing she had all the right cards to gather a solid pile of chips :) Definitely a friendly round of poker among the siblings and siblings-in-law :) Another good day!

1 comment:

Grandma J said...

Sounds like a great day for everyone...two deer, wreaths, snow globes, food, and family.

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...