There are worse ways to wake up on your birthday than to the sound of waves tumbling onto the shore and a hint of salt water in the air :) It was very early, 5 a.m. to be exact, when I heard Jen get in the shower in the next room over. Carissa and I actually had a fairly good night's sleep--apparently the karaoke crowd is less voluminous on Sunday nights. As I finished my shower in my bathroom and began to dress, I thought, "Wow, how roomy my jeans have become! I guess I didn't do too bad on this trip after all!" Ha! No. They were Buck's jeans--somehow his were mixed with mine during the folding process, I grabbed them off my shelf and threw them in my suitcase. Now, thankfully, I did have another option--pink. Yes, pink jogging pants to go with the pink sweater I was already wearing--that's a lot of pink. Jen told me I looked like the leisure-suit-wearing crowd from her retirement community neighbors in Arizona, lol :)Carissa's flight left significantly later than Jen's and mine. She still got up with us and watched as we tried to reheat our massive burrito halves from the day before. It was pretty early for that much food anyway, but we were willing to try to avoid airplane food if possible by filling up beforehand. Our trip to the airport was pretty lowkey--we stopped for gas and needed a whopping two gallons to fill it to full :) Jen dropped me off and went to return the rental car. I attempted curbside check-in with success (pretty proud of myself; I'm not the expert traveler I once was :)
Inside the airport, I made it through all the security checks without any extra hassles. I guess wearing clothes sans metal is a benefit at x-ray scanners. I found it odd though, to ascend the escalator to paramedics, police, and a fire rescue team taking vitals on four freaked-out looking flight attendant ladies. A pilot stood nearby, talking to an officer. There was a lot of paperwork, phone calls, and even an announcement that members of their flight could come up for free food at one of the breakfast places in that wing of the airport. I still have no idea what happened, but I think they were going to transport the flight attendant by ambulance (they were all walking and talking on their own power, so probably for insurance reasons). Quite the scene at 6:15 a.m.
Jen, Rissa, and I kept each other updated via text of our travel progress. I can only imagine the number of texts sent among the four of us during the past two weeks--before, during, and after the trip :)
My flight home was packed, but the man next to me chose to sleep the entire time--not sure how he managed that! Planes aren't exactly noted for their comfort in such situations. However, the leather-backed seats made me feel better to rest my head against than the typical cloth ones. It's the little things ;)
We arrived home ahead of schedule. I only had my purse for carry-on (whoohoo, hands free traveling!), so exiting the plane was a speedy affair. Just around the corner, I found my family! Waving and greeting me like they'd been standing in the same spot since Friday :) (They assured me they hadn't been). Buck handed me a chai and I got lots of hugs from my crew. I traded my flip flops for some Sherpa boots, and we headed to the van. Actually, the weather was pretty nice in both locations--until the wind picked up at home, whoa baby!
On the drive we exchanged tales of our time apart. The crew, it seemed, kept themselves exceptionally busy while I was away! I left a little list, but I guess they had an even bigger one to accomplish. So, there were many surprises at home awaiting me as a result of their work.

First up, and most obvious--Olaf! Jen detailed her family's list of yard inflatables, and Carissa joined in with hers. I described a few I'd seen at a local hardware store, and they got online to see if they could order more in time for Christmas. I may have shocked them by announcing that we were inflatable free at our place--well, not any more! Olaf was waving his branches with excessive enthusiasm (given the insane winds sweeping down our hill) and I felt well-greeted by his presence ;) We also have cute light up deer nibbling on our lawn, and additional lighting in the weeping mulberry tree.
Although it was midafternoon, Buck and the kids had plugged in every Christmas light we have--inside and outside, so there was plenty of glimmer for me at home! They did a little bit of streamer decorating (picture a giant red 40! on the wall going up the stairs :) Graysen selected and printed out pictures of me to make a customized happy birthday banner of --well, mostly me. It made me laugh when I went to print the next day and received a notification that it was "time to fill my ink cartridges!" ha!
Just beyond the banner in the kitchen, I soon discovered that my sweet tooth was to be fully taken care of by my family. Because I wasn't sure what treat I wanted after nearly a year of zero dessert--they just baked me everything they could think of :) Peppermint fudge, banana bread, banana bread with chocolate chips, great grandma's cherry chocolate chip cookies, banana bars with cream cheese frosting, and (my extra favorite) cream cheese mints! They had it all set up in my best dishes (that I always forget to use). Buck took a picture before we embarked on this dessert banquet, but I forgot to get it from him--here's what was left after round one. Such tasty treats!
Next, I had to pop outside and see the completed dog house. It looks awesome! I'd received a photo text at dinner when we were literally in the midst of talking about the boys' project, but seeing it in person was an additional treat! I love the roundy shingles on top--it's like a gingerbread cottage in navy :) Chauncey isn't quite sure about it yet, but then he's never had an outdoor addition of his own. I think he'll like it a lot in the summertime.
After I'd toured the dog house, the kids wanted me to open up their birthday gifts to me. Graysen was first and he gifted me with a sweet pair of shiny, pink boxing gloves! Now I can really show the heavy bag in the garage who's boss! Gabby gave me a green, plastic fitness rocker . . . you stand on it and twist, but you can shove it under the couch when you want to sit down instead :) It's fun, and I think it could also be used as a sled in the backyard, ha! Caelan and Brennen gifted me with a paper cutter; I used to borrow the ones from work in the past and I've missed the convenience of a paper cutter for years. Now I have my very own, woohoo!! Buck, who had given me more than enough already for my birthday, added a subscription to the Fixer Upper design magazine by the lovely Joanna. I have to wait til January to see the first edition, but I think I'll manage somehow, ha!
Buck also invited three of my closest California friends to write me an encouraging note about their favorite memories and impressions of me--it is nice to be reminded that there are so many people who are cheering me on and who love me so much that they'd take a moment to make sure I know about it :) Another fun birthday gift was the Hen-N-Out sign . . . we've been trying to come up with a system to know whether the chickens have been released from their coop or secured for the night. Buck and the kids got creative and came up with this little flip sign, which is also a memory of my birthday weekend in California. Dig it!


Yet another of my family's many projects was getting my birthday sign from my sister put up on our barn. Looks pretty cute and cheerful if you ask me! I posted a pic of this on facebook and a high school friend wrote me and said, "Now I can't stop singing that song!" Nice, already spreading the message I was hoping it would--whatever it ended up saying ;)


That evening for dinner I had three options 1. the taco pizza I'd said I wanted 2. a baked chicken salad (Buck ran out of traegar pellets smoking deer jerky :) 3. go out for steak (one of the few foods I didn't have on my weekend trip). Funny enough, I opened a steak-themed birthday card from Buck's dad, and it said, "Have a steak on me!" with cash for dinner. I guess my decision was made! Buck and I set out for a short evening of catching up on each other's weekends without the kids in attendance. It was good to reconnect after the time apart.
Back at the house, the kids had selected White Christmas as their evening's viewing. We sat down with them just as the final performance was coming together--and--it always makes me cry!! :) Such a nice birthday--and such a comfort to sleep in my own bed, with my own pillow, and my husband again (college roommate is fine, but I'll pick Buck any day :)
Oh, and then the next day it snowed--but only kind of, and was gone in minutes. Still, quite the contrast from California's coast. Oh wait! I nearly forgot . . . the next day, my friend Mrs. K invited me out to dinner. She had asked me if she could have a surprise party for me before she knew I was going to CA :) I told her, I didn't need a party, but I'd like to go out to dinner. Buck was working and I left the kids home--whoa, I'm adventurous after my weekend away! This has never happened before!We went to The Olive Garden for our meal, and only expected to be gone a short time . . . well, then we remembered there was a clothing/jewelry store going out of business this month, and we just had to stop by to do a bit of 30-50% off Christmas shopping :) I found a super cute pair of green tennis shoes for Gabby--I mean me--I mean Gabby--I mean me! Okay, so the $10 shoes eventually became mine, but I really did try to get her a cute gift :)
Buck ended up arriving home before I did, but it was fun spending time with another friend God has brought into my life. I never really expected many friendships here, as we were going to be here such a short time--well, I guess His plan is better than I imagined. I need to remember that, because it always is :)
1 comment:
Such thoughtful things Buck and the kids did to welcome you back home!!!
Post a Comment