Friday, December 21, 2018

Choir Concert Finale

Hello! Gabby guest blogging again!

One of my favorite activities is music. I love listening to music while I clean, bake, or do school. I love to sing along with the fun songs, and listen, amazed, to the stunning songs. I love playing songs on piano, ukulele, guitar, or any other instrument I can get my hands (and sometimes feet) on. 

Music is a big part of my life, which is why I love Homeschool Choir so much! (Also because I have a bunch of friends who I pretty much only see in choir :)

We didn’t have quite as many kids this year than in previous years, but we all worked hard at our music and practiced a lot (or all the time in Caelan’s case :) Our music was super fun this year since we had one acapella song and one combined choir song. Also, for one of our songs our choir director asked one of the choir moms to play flute in accompaniment. It was so beautiful!

On the day of our final performance, we had a rehearsal at our usual time. Sound check went well, but the actual practice was...eh. We tried hard; we were just a little shaky a few times.

After the singing was completed, all of the kids doing extra pieces stayed after to show their songs for our director. We needed to make sure the players were miked so everyone could hear the instruments. My friend and I tried to do our song, but my friend had forgotten her violin, so she had to use the choir director’s. She had a hard time playing the violin, so our choir director played with me to get the microphones correct. (She is amazing!)

After we figured out how the sound would work, our family went home to eat and prepare for the performance in the evening. There was the usual hustle about what to wear, (I think we all turned out looking dapper) and then we left for the small church we’ve been attending which hosted the finale.


My friend and I were the third song in the prelude, so we took a few minutes before the concert started to practice. After we practiced, we talked with a few of our choir friends and greeted those who had come to watch us. My friend E, our guitar teacher and his wife and two of our youth group leaders came, and it was great to feel supported!

I felt pretty jittery, so my friend and I prayed beforehand, and I felt way better. I got to pray with quite a few of my friends before they performed, so that was super cool! My violin friend and I went up and performed with only a couple mess-ups, then we got to listen to the amazing talent of some of the other homeschoolers.

The elementary choir sang first, then there was a interlude where a bunch of the older kids performed their individual pieces. One was a violin duet with the choir director and one of her students; so pretty!





And then the Teen Choir went up on stage. I was so excited to sing! I think we did the best at the final concert than at all the others. Our song with the Elementary Choir sounded really nice, and I honestly think we did a good job!

After the concert was over, there were desserts and conversation for like an hour. I said many sad goodbyes (they weren’t really that sad; I’ll see all these people in January for goodness sake :) and we skedaddled on home.











I love Homeschool Choir; I think it’s awesome that our director thought it was important enough for homeschoolers to have singing opportunities that she chose to lead us in it. I’m super excited for choir to start up again!

“....We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, and a happy new year!” ;)

1 comment:

Grandma J said...

Glad that you enjoy choir so much...wish I could have seen some of your performances. I do remember the acapella, which I thought sounded good when you were having practice when I was there.

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...