Thursday, December 20, 2018

My Birthday

Just a couple days before my birthday, there was a big ol' blizzard. Last year, I would have been on the beach in California with my friends during this winter weather. However, I was more than happy to use the icy roads and nine-inch blanket of white as an excuse to stay home for the whole day. Birthday, pajama day!

For breakfast, Buck made omelets. For lunch, taco pizza from the gas station (yummy!) For dinner, a big old pot of chili made from some of our summer's end tomatoes. And cornbread. We mustn't forget the cornbread.

The girls made my mom's chocolate cake with my great grandma's layer of fudge frosting (we were out of powdered sugar). 

The kids and I broke out two of the puzzles awaiting our attention. It has been FOREVER since they wanted to do a puzzle, so I'm glad the National Parks 500 piece I picked up at the store months ago inspired them. In fact, they were so jazzed about puzzle building that they immediately proceeded to put together a colorful dog puzzle that Grandma J gifted us. Those thousand pieces total took less than a day. Brennen was like, "Let's see how many puzzles we can put together--let's get them ALL out!" Whoa! Umm, no :)

Caelan was knitting like crazy, but did take a break to help puzzle. She also had to work that evening, so Buck braved the roads to get her to and fro.


As you can see in the photo, I got a pretty sweet new chicken t-shirt from Caelan. Gabby gave me a cool long-sleeved t with a bit of sparkle on the front. Brennen and Graysen gifted me with Burt's Bees lotion products. I also enjoyed phone calls from my dad and Buck's mom and a bunch of fun cards in the mail. One I opened, and 40 dollars fell out. Graysen said, "They should have sent one more and then it would be your age." Funny kid! He's used to the dollar amount in some of his cards matching his birthday age :) Me . . . not so much!

It took me awhile to get a picture with my birthday decorations, but when a giant red number is posted outside your bedroom door for two weeks, you can't help but be reminded which birthday it was, ha!

I enjoyed my low-key, calorie-rich, birthday day. I'm glad Buck was home and the kids were happy to just chill. It was a good, cozy birthday!




2 comments:

Grandma J said...

The chicken shirt is pretty darn cute! And that cake looks really good! Actually, so does the chili!

Buck and Jess! said...

Buck's goal was the "best chili you've ever eaten." It was right up there in the top three :) Possibly the best, but I don't remember these things from the past. Too many other things in my brain, ha!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...