Thursday, December 20, 2018

Family Weekend

December is just plain busy! Mostly good busy, but it can get to feeling overwhelming. As soon as my birthday week wrapped up, so did school. And just in time. Get ready for a busy weekend . . . and then subsequent weekdays--so busy that it's taken me all this time to find time to sit down and write about our adventures. First up--choir performance, the second.

Gabby and her friend A decided to do a duet of The First Noel. Her friend played violin, and Gabby sat down to play a shiny, black, baby grand piano (my dream!) I guess Caelan originally arranged the music for them, but Gabby ended up making up her piano part to fit the violin. Meeting in person for practice isn't an easy option, so the girls figured out how to chat over the internet for practice instead. Confused, Buck walked by the girls' room, and asked me, "Do I hear violin?" Ha! Yes, technology!

The oldest three's second performance took place at a retirement facility near our old church. It is such a nice, big space for the residents. There was even balcony seating :) Buck, Graysen, and I sat towards the back. Getting ready for our quick trip amidst all the unknowns about medical leave and upcoming paychecks was uncomfortable for Buck, but he's figuring out strategies for managing these stressors and did well at the concert.

Our choristers also did well; it's amazing how not so many voices can make such nice music. The residents seemed genuinely glad to see so many children and teens. They smiled as the choir handed them Christmas cards and wished them Merry Christmas. I love the community outreach aspect of this group. What is it they say on the Elf movie, "Singing loud for all to hear is the best way to spread Christmas cheer?" Something like that :)

Well, let me tell you we SCURRIED out of there after the last notes faded. I had suitcases packed and waiting to be loaded at the door. Chauncey seemed to know he was invited on this excursion and all but leapt from the house into the van as the door slid open. With Christmas tunes cranking on the radio, we traversed the miles . . . to grandmother's house we go!

Maga provided a meal of noodles for dinner, and then we were off to the puppet show. My nephew and niece are part of a faith-based puppet troupe that performs shows to raise money to give to other Christian missions--like blankets for a shelter. They've got black lights and a sound system and LOADS of lines, at least for A this year. He had me cracking up with the dry sense of humor his puppet character (who was also one of the narrators) required. He kept "Shhhhsh-ing" his "wife," so I was going to show him I was paying attention to the script by shhshing him later ;) But, he didn't need to be shhshhed. In fact, he and his sister (who played an expectant Mary puppet) stole the show with their "what do you want for Christmas answers." G said, "I just want to be with my family." And A said, "God already gave us the greatest gift, what more do we need?" Everyone else was like, "Xbox! PS4." When given a second chance, little sister hollered from the crowd, "Ask for a horsey!!!" Oh my goodness, how they make me smile!






A couple of my favorite moments . . . A not only played "Mort" but also a wise-cracking lamb. I couldn't figure out how he could be both of these characters on complete OPPOSITE sides of the stage until he was like, "I had a microphone Auntie Jess, I just said the lines for both." Oooooh, puppet magic :) It was also very cute when Miss G waved at Uncle Buck and me from her black-lit vehicle bumper position during the puppet parade. She didn't even steer into the wall! That was a big cardboard cruiser, and I'm sure Graysen was wishing he was on the set crew to help build :)

Afterwards, the kids feasted on cookies and ice cream and time with their cousins. And I won't forget uncle . . . we met Caliente's gf earlier in the day, and I thought it was super cool that he took her back to catch the next evening's performance. Good work, Lo!

Today we were listening to the radio and the Toby Mac Christmas song came on. Buck said, "Now I have a whole new set of Christian songs to associate puppets with." Ha! They certainly do stick in your head after the fact :) Good work, niece and nephew!

1 comment:

Grandma J said...

Sounds like a fun and busy weekend.

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...