Sunday, July 7, 2019

Friend-tivities

Although the children complain that their summer has been "all school work, so much school work, we just need a break from school work" (they're finishing the lessons they didn't complete during the school year, it's really not that tragic :), I'd say they've had a handful of fun with friends ;)

Our neighborhood likes to celebrate the Fourth of July together, generally not on it, just near it. Our neighbor texted Buck and said he was smoking like eight pounds of pork, so bring a side dish and come on over. Most of our neighbor kids are little, but our homeschooling friends are closer to our kids' age. I admit. I hid inside the air-conditioned house, not wanting to socialize AT ALL, but also not wanting to be the weird homeschool mom who won't hang out with the neighbors :) Buck was at work.



So around 7 p.m., I headed to the tent next door and had a lot of nice conversations with the neighbors--one family which is moving this weekend. They just got back from a family reunion/vacation in Colorado, and brought the boys taffy along with their windfall dog-watching fee :) 

There were also three babies in attendance. When the six-month-old was, "Anybody want to hold a baby?"-ed, you bet I volunteered! (I found out a few days later, he has RSV and his sister has a fever, she was holding hands with me during the fireworks, and also the mom of two of the babies we had in nursery last week has strep--I mean, hello? It's summertime, right? What's up with all this childhood illness around us? :)




The big boys lit most of the fireworks that were handheld or throwable. Then the dads lit the fountains and small sky bursts. As far as the display goes, it wasn't as rad as it usually is, probably because we contributed nothing this year, and usually we swing by the fireworks tent at least once (I'm okay with not somewhat literally burning money, so I'm not complaining, just noting :) 

I think we were out until about 10, when the thunderstorms and lightning had calmed a bit and brought significantly cooler weather in their wake. I'm glad we have the neighborhood and neighbors that we do, it's a good place.

On the actual day of Independence, we drove out to the country home of our new good friends' (NGFs :) parents. It was M's mom's birthday, and normally they do a big ole' celebration. This year, they decided to keep things fairly calm with just local family--and of course us :) The meal was delicious, two nights in a row! There was even homemade cherry pie (which I skipped because, Keto), but it looked really pretty.










Outside, the dozen kids had a blast (no pun intended) creating fireworks-shooting contraptions, that of course turned into fake guns for massive battle reenactments. You'll see Graysen popping over the top of the woodshop for some surveillance and sneak attack action :) 

For hours, HOURS, the big boys used up the bottle rockets, and throwables, much like the night before. But when it got dark, it was time for recently-graduated crowd of cool-car driving, motorcycle-riding man-boys to light off the big boomers. And MAN were there a lot of them (big boomers, not man-boys)!





The three (or four?) guys would run in with a butane torch and light as many fuses as they felt comfortable lighting before we adults would yell, "That's enough, run, RUN!" and soon the sky was filled with sparkly lights. I did some oooohs and ahhhhhs in honor of my dad, who was faithful in fireworks admiration coaching during my formative years :) We were in the debris zone as the bits of paper and plastic rained down on our heads. But it was fun!



After getting a very full night's sleep or two, the kids were ready to hang out with our NGFs once more. This time, Spiderman! With a full row and another half pre-purchased, we just collected our tickets from Buck's buddy (who hid behind a giant poster and announced, "I'm a robber . . . . who gives things away!" :) and then settled in for the movie. By the time it was finished, the kids were already in negotiations for who can come to whose house and stay the night, play the day, etc. etc. This happens EVERY time we are together :) But they were heading out for a camping trip to the Badlands (we were repeatedly invited right up to the day before departure, well then again I guess this morning at church, although they were leaving directly after :) It's nice to be wanted company!







Our boys like to be helpful, and since they're only watching one dog this weekend, the popped over to see if our moving neighbors needed any help packing up boxes and transferring them into the truck. Who is going to turn down willing volunteer help? They spent an hour or so loading, until the adults declared a "done for the day."



Today, the girls set up ice cream plans with Caelan's prom/work friend right after church. Buck took all four of our crew to meet up with Nick, while I did a massive house spruce. It needed it. I've been very lethargic and sore the past several days (but I've read a lot of books for school next year . . . only like 50 to go! The following picture is really only to show how unusually long my fingernails are right now, what is happening?! :)



After ice cream, Nick followed the van to our house and we sent out on a cultural adventure to two art/museum exhibits we've been wanting to see before they move on (and before our membership expires in two weeks and we can no longer go for free :) Despite being a lifelong nearby resident, Nick hadn't explored either of these two popular venues--we've been to both so many times, the kids are practically docents.





















Now they're upstairs playing a charades game on the phone that captures the actions of the people guessing or acting out the words? It sounds hilarious from down here :) So yeah, pretty much all school work and no fun this summer (whatevs :)

2 comments:

Grandma J said...

I didn't realize Buck had to work on the 4th. So, how did everyone like Spiderman? Rudy wants to go see it this week! Too bad the kids aren't having any fun and only doing schoolwork!!!! Poor children!! (lol!)

C and G said...

Okay, okay, I take it back!! (In our defense, that was uttered on a hot day, with very few readily entertainment options . . . 😜)

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...