Friday, May 29, 2020

Battleships--Quarentine Edition

Well, this was a cool thing. There is a family at church who we've connected with over the past year. Gabby babysits often for the three kiddos. I was in a cohort Bible study with the momma, and Buck with the dad. We watch the two-year-old in the nursery, and he loves Buck (and chickens). I taught this family's daughter at VBS several years ago, which was how we first met (and my friend never fails to tell the story of how I helped her then-preschooler overcome her fear of toilet flushing :) That leaves just one member of the family unaccounted for--Charlie. Brennen and Charlie have become buds through all the church childcare gigs he's volunteered for, despite their difference in ages.

Charlie's dad is a double essential worker--paramedic and UPS driver. He is working long hours, has a bunch of weird safety protocols to follow, and his family misses him terribly when he's away. Not easy for young kids or his young wife (who is quarantined with the young kids :)

Last week I got a text from my friend saying, "Charlie made a list and 'play Battleships with Brennen' is at the top.'" I let Brennen know and he said, "Great! Charlie is my bro!" So after mowing the lawn and doing some landscaping for our neighbor, and after Charlie's dad headed to work followed by a flood of tears, we set up a Zoom call so the two guys could play Battleships.


I took this above pic of Brennen, and my friend took this similar pic of Charlie (technically we could have each helped our sons win, but we're better moms than that, lol :) They were on the Zoom call for a couple hours, played three full games, I think, and Brennen listened as Charlie read him a book and showed him cool things in his currently-isolated world. The best part is that Brennen fully enjoyed this hang out time with Charlie; I love that heart he has for others ❤



I later got this text from my friend . . .



She was amazed and thankful that her bummed little boy became talkative and happy getting to spend some face time with Brennen. Makes me proud of my son! Thankful that he was willing to show God's love to a hurting kiddo, and thankful that took a little stress off of my friend, too.

1 comment:

Grandma J said...

This warms my heart!!!!!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...