Sunday, December 31, 2023

A Visit to the 1900s

Many, many, many years ago, Buck and I enjoyed gathering up a group of friends or family and taking these trips to the past to enjoy old-fashioned food cooked over a woodstove in the cozy setting of historic homes. For years and years, we've wanted to take the kids to experience this unique night. The only one of them who's ever gone, was G$--in a baby carrier! So, when I mentioned the idea for the time Grandma J would be in town, everyone found a day they could attend (whoa!) Grandma J decided this would be a good Christmas gift, so she gave us this evening out together.

It felt weird to be driving AWAY from home, a long way from home, as the sun was sinking, but the star-strewn sky is definitely part of the experience. We were a bit bummed, because the emails we'd received indicated that they'd done away with the carriage rides out to the farm--and that was one of the most mood-setting aspects of the evening. BeReal went off, and we all captured our "now" . . . but in the background, I started to hear a little jingle.






The jingle grew louder . . . and soon--the horse drawn wagon ride we'd been hoping for arrived outside the door and awaited our loading up! I know that Grandma J and I were SO excited! Here's a listen . . .


I think the host/historical interpreter makes a difference in the feel and overall believability of the evening . . . this fellow knew his history, but took several tangents involving statistics, which weren't completely interesting to me, but might have connected to others in the room. I know the early farming practices were probably a bit interesting to Chase, who helps on his family's farm each year. I was just happy to be sitting in the cozy, woodstove-heated parlor, sipping delicious hot cider, and watching the kids interact by the glow of lamp oil flickers.


We were all very excited when they announced dinner--especially those of us who'd been there before, because we knew what was about to land on the table :) In fact, the photos below took place AFTER the meal, because there was no way we were waiting on that food for photos . . . roasted pork, corn pudding, brussels sprouts, scalloped potatoes, fluffy rolls, strawberry preserves, butter pickles, fresh butter in a fancy mold, pumpkin butter, ooh la la. Brennen declared he was only going to eat food cooked on a woodstove from this point forward, lol! It's just that delicious! I know the second picture is dark, but it made me laugh how Brennen is highlighted with his cup of coffee . . . or maybe it was cider--they only gave us a taste of cider in the parlor, but let us have as much as we wanted with dinner :)



While the young lady who prepared our meal washed up the dishes with the help of the historian fellow, the gal who drove the horses to the farmhouse took us on a tour of barn and surrounding pens to meet the animals. Everyone grabbed a lantern to light the way!






We saw horses and sheep and cows and calves and hogs and chickens and mice (quite a lot of mice) and cats (who were supposed to eat the mice, but preferred the bowls of cream left from the coffee). Also, it was really pleasant out! No super heavy coats needed . . . I think the boys had short-sleeved shirts on!



Back at the farmhouse, we dropped off our lanterns, then lined up to wash our hands in stove warmed water with lye soap. We wandered the house a bit, looking at the rooms and gadgets, and sat down to dessert. Our choices were fresh pie, cinnamon chocolate cake, or both! Served with fresh whipped cream . . . it was so much food and so much sugar, I couldn't finish mine. I was also at that beyond tired and very sugary point where trying to hit the high notes with Whitney Huston on the radio during the drive home seemed attainable, lol! Here's a video Caelan made of the evening that tells the story better than I can--Whitney not included :)


1 comment:

Grandma J said...

Oh, just thinking about how delicious that meal was makes me want to relive it...so good!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...