Saturday, November 25, 2017

Strings of Light

Our schedule is a little different this year--normally the tree goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving, but Buck will be working until next weekend when I am travelling, so . . . the day before Thanksgiving it is! The week worked out nicely--Buck (and Caelan) had been fighting a run-down, coughing type cold. He was supposed to have Monday, Wednesday, Thursday off, but some snafu with coworker doctor appointments and lawyer stuff on Monday meant he had to work. It was not easy to go in when he was feeling so yucky, but it WAS nice to have three straight days off as a result :)

Day 1: Resting
Day 2: Decorating!!
Day 3: Celebrating!!!

Brennen was super helpful in the Christmas lighting department this year. He walked circles around our tree--that somehow Buck fit in his CAR because we both forgot he was supposed to take the van on tree pick-up day--stringing the lights. Then while his dad was up on the roof, he--get this--whistled while he worked on getting the front railing strung with festivity . . . LOVE!!!




Graysen built a merry little tree from cardboard and camo duck tape--he even added a star and tiny little Christmas lights, but you "have to look close to see them" :) This year, I was all in on the tree decorations. Last year, I held back and we kept it simple. This year--if it was in the box, it went up on the tree. Why not? :) I've gotten to the point where I just lay the ornaments out and the kids put up whichever ones they like. We used to have to take turns and just pick two at a time and then wait for your next turn--things are much more relaxed and efficient now that they're older. I miss most of the decorating photo ops due to this new faster method, but we always pause to take pics as each kiddo puts their special ornament from great grandma on the tree :)



Another family tradition is blasting Toby Mac Christmas while we decorate the tree. The funky beats and tempos kind of lend themselves to a bit of goofiness and hilarity. But I wouldn't know anything about that . . . ;)






And neither would Buck . . . :)



Taadaa! I do love a sparkling tree and a brightly lit banister! G$ made a sign to put in our silver goblets as you can see in the photo below :)



Sometimes this day can be stressful for me, because there is so much *mess* everywhere and such a lot to unpack and set up and distribute, knowing that the reverse is not too much more than a month away . . . however, this year, it went smoothly; the kids were great help; and it was really a lot of fun! Buck took me out to lunch--we're really trying to get in time together, because he is so busy at work this time of the year. It was just a little break, but it was good to take the break together. Now, I did forget to make dinner, but Graysen suggested grilled cheese and tomato soup, and that turned out to be just perfect!

No comments:

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...