Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Chicken Pie?

Goodness how we've laughed this week! Okay, so I have this huge box of protein shakes that Buck bought for me last year. I wanted chocolate, but my disparaging remarks on the shopping list concerning the chocolate mistakenly led Buck to purchase the vanilla instead. I thought, "Okay, I'll try it. Can't be worse than the chocolate." The vanilla shakes are so thick and the flavor is so strong that it is how I imagine drinking birthday cake batter might be. I've kept a couple in the fridge, willing myself to drink them gone, so that I feel okay about buying another box of chocolate.

Out of the kindness of their hearts, and probably a solid dose of curiosity, the children offered to help me drink the long-ignored vanilla shakes. Well . . . gulp. They solidified . . . clumpy, gooey, plopping in the cup with whey? around them in a light liquid form. We tried shaking, stirring, mixing . . . and eventually straining the gloop. Oh my carrots--SOOO nasty!!


Okay, I thought, so maybe it's the ones in the fridge--they're cold, they've been in there awhile, maybe they clump after a month? Nope! The ones on the cupboard shelf are the same way!! We were gagging and laughing so hard trying to come up with a way to drink this mess.

I even asked the internets, "Can my dog eat protein shakes?" Umm, no, wrong kind of protein. But chickens . . . chickens can eat just about anything :) So, since it was super cold and they haven't been eating their corn much and they need calories to stay warm and lay eggs . . . we decided to make chicken pie :) We mixed in some crumbled cookie bits from the girls' initial experiments with trying to get Caelan's Christmas cookie press to work, slopped those protein-packed liquid gelatins on top . . . and boom, chicken pie :)

Let me tell you, those birds loved that cookie/nasty protein lump pie! And yet, we still have 12 of the 18 shakes left!! TWELVE! That's a lot, that is a whole lot :) I'm not sure I'd even feel right about giving them away . . . :)

2 comments:

Grandma Judi said...

Yay chickens! So...have you bought the chocolate ones yet??!!

Buck and Jess! said...

No ... I still have vanilla! :)

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...