Thursday, September 5, 2019

Is it Drafty in Here?

Doesn't everyone buy a cake for their second fantasy football draft in two days? No? Just us? :)



Last year, I did zero research, zero planning, zero anything in preparation for the family fantasy football league. Had Gronk not pooped out on me, I would have taken the championship away from Brennen :) I guess they all tore a page out of my playbook, because there were no draft magazines purchased, far fewer mock drafts (if any), and no long paper lists of players and stats. Laptops ready, cell phones hot, chats a-going . . . we connected with cousins, an uncle, and Grandma J for our afternoon football draft. It flew by in 45 minutes! I'm happy to say, I managed the second best draft (after my brother, who had a couple of autopicks, so probably mine is really the best ;) and I'm picked to win the league with a 13-1 record. That of course means nothing, since the stats have no idea who will be hurt, imprisoned, shipwrecked, etc. this season. I'm glad to report that, much like in high school, I'm still an A student--my draft earned an A- (when else do adults get graded? Lol! :)





The very next day, the "dads and sons and Gabby league" drafted on two floors of our house :) Buck planned this Labor Day party, and I hesitantly went along with it. Not because I don't love our friends, I just knew I'd be exhausted. I was. But everyone helped get the house together, and everyone had a good time. Even though there were a few hiccups. I did get quite a bit of classroom/school stuff done, and might have delayed the party start time via text at least once :)







Kids plotting their teams upstairs.



Dads plotting their teams downstairs (it was much less hot downstairs).



Our NGFs lost their favorite puppy in their house fire last year. They got a replacement, but couldn't stand him. They rehomed him a.s.a.p. But . . . still missing their sweet girl pup, Mel selected a new tiny friend for her husband's birthday surprise. He LOVED this! He had no idea it was happening, and was thrilled. Good job Mrs. NGF! To my surprise, they brought their little Cricket over to our house for the party (I was hoping we'd get to meet her). Can you see her tiny legs through Chauncey's gigantic ones??

Our pastor's daughter is a puppy whisperer. She spent pretty much the whole day holding the new puppy. Chauncey was quite jealous and highly confused. Newton was in his kennel (he barked at the three-year-old human). Just look how little this pup is next to our giant one! She was so sleepy. Awww! 




It sounds like everyone (mostly--maybe not the son whose team name is along the lines of "Forced to do This" :) had fun and got the players they wanted. We ate an overnight brisket that Mr. NGF smoked on his new grill. Watermelon, pasta salad (and a GF option :). The girls made cute little football sugar cookies, which I forgot to take a picture of. It was warm outside, but tolerable and the kids spread out to play, so the house wasn't super crowded. All-in-all, a productive and fun Labor Day--although, maybe we're not supposed to be productive on the day that is meant to be a break from working . . . I'm not sure if we did it right . . . :)

1 comment:

Grandma J said...

I also did not study and only did one mock draft....however, my draft grade, like my mock draft, was a D...which was NOT my average grade in high school!! Oh well, let the fun begin! We had no cookies or cake here; wish I had been drafting at your house!

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...