Saturday, February 21, 2015

Doctor, Doctor!

Here's the update on our week of medical mystery . . . G's baby tooth extraction was set for Thursday. I mostly didn't want to leave the house, but also found that his gum blister/blood bump has been gone for more than a week, and felt that pulling the wiggly tooth professionally was an investment we perhaps didn't need to make. I spoke to the dentist on the phone, and she agreed. So, we are back to wiggling it and--barring reappearance of the bump, pain, or further signs of trouble--it's our job to detooth the boy. Dentist $150??? Tooth Fairy $1--I choose option two :)

Buck took Chauncey Friday for his pee test; the vets caught the sample while Buck waited in the exam room . . . this was a much better arrangement. That kind of stuff belongs to the realm of professionals :) Kidney function, etc. all looks fine, so no further concerns there. The blood work is due back today? Monday? That will say if the medication did what it was supposed to do in clearing the infection/bacteria whatever it was, so stay tuned.

Gab and I spent 2.5ish hours together yesterday getting our eyes uber-checked. The doctor spotted a "shimmer" on her optic nerve during the initial exam at Costco. He has more specialized equipment at his office, so he was able to dilate her eyes (the first in the immediate family to experience thus--I told her I would make her a "dilation pioneer" plaque, which she thought was pretty cool, but then I got my eyes dilated about 15 minutes later, so she didn't pioneer for long :), and take pictures. Doctor wanted to rule out a calcium deposit, which can get to be bad business. He is confident that the tilt of her optic nerve (which is unique to her) is causing a reflection and that's the shimmer he saw. However, he does have a new machine he just ordered that takes a more in depth look at the layers of tissue, which will help make certain that everything is okey-dokey.

I will "get to" use the same machine to make sure my optic nerve is cool beans. I also got my eyes dilated (super didn't like waiting the SIX HOURS for them to go back to normal; I could see fine but everything had a haze around it and it made me kind of sea sick, and I don't get sea sick :) I did tell Buck I couldn't make dinner, because they print those recipe instructions so darn little, and with my foggy eyes . . . :) He grilled steak; it worked out great! Oh, and I got some pictures taken of my eye balls too. This was to establish a baseline for the "cupping" of my optic nerve, since my eye pressure levels are at the high, upper end of normal and we have a family history of glaucoma. I am considered a glaucoma suspect, and may remain so for the rest of my life. First time I've been officially suspected of something, ha! Unfortunately he says this rules out my ability to EVER have lasik correction, which thins the cornea and makes it impossible to get an accurate eye pressure reading (vital for keeping watch on glaucoma). So there goes that lifelong dream . . .

What else? Oh, we did a visual field test and were both declared professional-level when it came to our fixation abilities. Both visual fields came back good, so high five on passing that one!

In summary: G's tooth is fine (unless it becomes not fine), Dog is fine (unless his blood work says he's not fine), Gab and my eyes are fine (unless the next test says they're not fine).


This is the picture Buck took of Gabby and me being superheroes . . . The Dilation Duo. But he nearly blinded us by using the flash :) We are easily overcome, we Dilation Duo . . .

2 comments:

Papa Barry said...

Look on Youtube for a father who ties his sons loose tooth to a model rocket and blasts it off. You can get a tooth pulled and have a new rocket!!

Jess and fam said...

Who doesn't need a rocket?! This might be a good idea . . . :) Though, probably will cost more than $1 :)

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...