One of the prize draws the kids can select at random from our prize bucket (which is really a Quaker Oats tube with printer-quality pictures taped to it :) is "Fun Fruit." The idea behind this is, they choose then try something unusual, usually a little more expensive than we would normally buy, expand their horizons, and see if there's anything rad out there we've been missing out on . . .
At the grocery store, we saw these potato-looking things in the fruit section. At first quick glance, my brain registered, "Oh, they'll like this! Buck loves the juice. He used to always order it in Cali when we ate at Mexican places."
It turns out what we really grabbed was a Jicima (hick-uh-muh) and not a Jamaica (huh-micah). My bad! :)
For lunch today, we peeled (half) of our new fruit/veggie. The label had helpful "how to enjoy" instructions stuck to it. I arranged slices on a plate and everyone dug in. B says, "It tastes like . . . carrots?" C says, "I think snap peas, like when you eat the shell." "Yeah, peas," agreed Gabby.
I personally thought it tasted like an under-ripe pear, with the texture of an apple. Interesting . . . but not a new favorite :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Colorado
We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...
-
I haven't had much to post lately, just a few things here and there. So here is some here, so you can see what we're up to there ;...
-
I've already shared these with Grandma J, but there is a bit more to the story . . . Buck: I got a text from Grandma J! G$: Is she co...
-
Did you know . . . this was going to be a wee little post that I forgot to finish for quite a long time? Yeah, me, too. I managed to attend ...



No comments:
Post a Comment