Bright and early on an absolutely freezing "spring" Saturday morning (after not a lot of sleep from the slumber party contestants, the other two of whom we've just learned tested positive for strep today, ugh!), Brennen and Buck set out to attend Brennen's hunter field day. Already, he'd worked for a couple months completing the online portion of the course. Now, he just needed some hands-on training in gun safety, rules and regulations, oh, yeah, and donuts. He was pretty excited about the donuts. "I ate three! One was a long john, what? I was hungry!" Buck was also excited about the donuts--much more so than the crockpot hotdogs they received for lunch.I'll be honest--I don't know a whole lot about what all they accomplished at the hunter field day, so I'll mostly let the pictures speak for themselves. I do know, that this course was significantly closer than the course the girls took with Buck. I also know that Buck and Brennen dashed out of the house without checking the weather--only to find themselves standing in a mini snowstorm in hoodies. Ahhh, springtime.


It is true, I've never taken the hunter safety course myself. But, I have listened as the kids worked on the study questions, and I think I picked up a few tips. For instance . . . never stick your finger in the barrel of a gun.

Oh, ummm . . . well, for sure NEVER look down the barrel of a gun!!

Right. Well, maybe this was the "what not to do" portion of the demonstration? Like I said, I wasn't there . . . :)
Although sleep deprivation might have played a noticeable role in instruction following, Brennen did manage to buckle down and score very well on his test. He only missed four questions and Buck said two of them were definitely tricky. As a result, the deer shall shudder as the mighty hunter takes to the woods and fields this fall :) I've already got the cabin reserved for youth hunting season times three!
If you look closely, you'll see the snow flakes. They didn't stick around, at all, like most of the rest of the world around us. Our little weather pocket just blew the storm off and away to the north like it always does.

Boiled hot dogs--lunch of champion hunters! At least the plates are cool-looking :)
1 comment:
Way to go Brennen.
Post a Comment