Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Tree Shopping Adventure

We (I, with the assistance of my NGF) decided this year should be a tree-farm year for Christmas tree selecting for both of our families! And we should, for sure, select these farmy trees together :)

Back at home, my seasonal-allergic family was pushing for a fake tree. I was hesitant. I discovered an article shouting the benefits of real tree over fake tree . . . I made sure Buck had a chance to read it, too ;) Proactively, he looked up, "Am I allergic to my Christmas tree?" The results were inconclusive . . . yes, Christmas trees can cause allergy flares, but it's not really the tree (poor, innocent tree), it's the molds and such that grow on the tree as it slowly fades into the New Year (that's better, right?). I'd say both fake and live trees tie for dust collection during their season of beauty. So, Buck bought some test garland and followed the suggested mold-busting protocols of washing and bleaching (although I don't think he bleached). That has been on our divider wall for a couple weeks, and seems okee-dokee, so far . . . so Operation Christmas Tree could go forward as (we) planned!

Really, we just wanted Caelan to have a memorable last Christmas before she turns 18 and leaves childhood behind ;) Ha! We didn't ask her of course, we just assumed this is what she would want--well, because it is what we wanted (and I'm still referring to NGF and I in the "we") lol! So on a bright and sunny day, we set out to traverse a wooded wonderland with our NGFs. They found a tree pretty much immediately, given their very specific, pre-determined size and shape requirements to fit their tree in their already full home.

It has been more than a decade since I picked out a tree in person. Buck usually grabs a pre-wrapped one off a semi, and whatever it looks like when the netting gets cut off, is what it looks like. He's mostly guessed winners, but we've had some goofy-shaped trees, which were entertaining all season long :) What I really wanted was a super soft and flowy tree, the kind that would sway in the wind and flutter its pretty branches in the breeze. Granted, we have neither wind nor breeze in our house, but I'm sure you're picking up what I'm laying down ;)

Everyone was laughing at me when I selected the tree--measuring at over seven feet tall (and possibly as wide), according to the poles the kids were diligently carrying around. Yes, the story of the last tree selected in nature that looked much smaller in the wild than it did in the living room, forcing the girls to walk sideways to get through their bedroom door was retold as a cautionary tale from the days of old. I tried to find another tree, a smaller tree, a less perfecty tree . . . but my heart had found its Christmas greenery, hee hee :)

Also, I now want a reindeer.









After our respective trees were loaded into and onto our respective vehicles, we decided we could all go for a nice, hot, yummy lunch! I found a take-out burgers/fries/chicken bar/grill restaurant about five miles away. We called in the order, borrowed cash from the kids (who doesn't take credit anymore?), and took our incredibly tasty lunch to an incredibly cute nearby park. The sunshine made it just warm enough to be almost comfortable. Most of the kids chose to eat their lunch on the spinning merry-go-round . . . and round . . . and round :)

Graysen finally got a redo on his chicken wings. The last time he ordered ghost pepper sauced, and they were so hot he could barely eat them. He's been craving a good do-over, and, as his styrofoam clam shell opened and the fragrant steam rose from his wings, he couldn't stop talking about how good that food tasted :)



Muriel was happy when we returned home to release her from her kennel. She was keeping an eye on the next project Caelan is working on--a sweater for her dad (Caelan's, not Muriel's)! She recently finished one for herself (again, Caelan, not Muriel--she doesn't knit), and couldn't wait to start another. She's come a long way from her first attempt several years ago :)


After the tree found its place in the house, and the decorations came in from the garage and laundry room via teenaged boy power, at least half of us took a nap. The girls headed to work while Buck and I did some additional decorating in the living room. The boys played video games online with their friends. We planned to decorate the tree when the girls returned, but we were all wiped out from a long day! So, I think we'll give that plan a try after youth group tonight. Oh, but while we were lighting the tree, I peeked out the window and saw our pastor's wife coming up the sidewalk with her arms full of treats. So sweet of the church to surprise deliver a Christmas thank you gift! We only helped in children's ministry twice this year, given all the covid cancellations, but I guess that was about what everyone did. 



It turns out our very symmetrical and very soft and very huggable tree fits perfectly in the only place we have to put it in the entire house, which required relocating several pieces of furniture :) It looks huge from this angle! I can't wait to see it all spruced up (no offence, White Pine) this evening!

1 comment:

Grandma J said...

I love where you put your tree.....I can just imagine seeing it as you drive up to your house at night....beautiful.

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...