Thursday, May 4, 2017

Super Hero Birthday

Plans are fluid, and that's cool. We planned a super busy day of guitar, piano, karate, and hockey--but we ended up going to a bakery to celebrate birthdays instead (of guitar and piano :) This bakery is a favorite for our CA visitors. The walls are lined with superheroes and the case is filled with delicious treats. We tend to celebrate the upcoming May birthdays with plates piled with treats on the tables in front of us--it's like birthday cake :)






At home, we worked on completing a couple of special projects for the baby shower :) My sewing machine has been giving me trouble since Christmas Eve. I spent two hours trying to fix it, put it back in the box, left it a couple days, then tried fixing it again. With the help of several internet videos (mostly the ones from England), I finally figured out the problem and tweaked the bobbin case back into working condition. Whew!! I had just a bit of sewing to do . . . thankfully, the girls were great about pinning all the squares, trimming all the strings, finding me a whale shape to free-hand for the pillow, and Gabby did the stuffin' because I sewed the hole too small for my hand to fit :)




After getting these things accomplished (all the while Grandma was looking at the kids' school binders, their new school books, their ITBS scores, their art work--she was a fulltime peruser!), we did make it to karate class. Buck still wasn't feeling great physically, so he stayed home with Z to make us dinner. Grilled pork chops, if I remember correctly. He did a lot of grilling for me this week :)

I can't tell you how excited the boys were for their first hockey game of the season! We arrived plenty early, and they received this year's hockey shirts. Did I mention it was cold? Because cold almost doesn't begin to describe an 8 PM game on a freezing spring evening, sitting on metal bleachers in the whipping wind. Yeah, it was cold. CA sister decided she needed to be in the van, so that's where Buck sat with her for the duration of the game.

It was kind of hard to see the hockey action, since the only street light shining above the "ice" was missing one of its bulbs. This was first on the fix-it list, we were assured. I guess running around kept the boys warm, and coaching kept the girls warm, because they were all excited about their win at the end of the game (while our teeth clattered with cold congratulations :) We were hoping Grandma J would get to see another game during her visit, but the second ended up cancelled due to potential snow--you've gotta be kidding me!


It's good to have the boys on the same team again (they were on different teams due to their grade levels last year)! B is a great defender of G when he's in the goalie box.
It was cold on opening day, but by the time June rolls around, we will be almost (almost) wishing for these chill spring breezes :)

1 comment:

Grandma Judi said...

Brrr...our weather here today is much like your rainy day weather when we were visiting...although not quite as cold. Great picture of the two boys.

Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...