Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Making Music

It was a busy day musically for Caelan and Gabby--first they appeared on television, leading children's church music time, followed by a livestream of Sunday morning Christmas music. 


Caelan came home for a nap, while the rest of us ran to drop off gifts and EGGS (11 yesterday, the ladies are back in business after taking a month off!) at a couple of friends' houses. It was on the drive home that Gabby casually mentioned Caelan's first ever piano recital--scheduled for less than two hours from that point--was "at some church" and not the piano teacher's home, as I was led to believe a month or two ago. The question became, "Well, then where is it?"

After several texts, from both me and the kids (since the piano teacher is my NGF's sister and 6/7s of my NGF's children were also in the recital) we found the designated location, and, after Caelan awoke from her nap, we made it there with time to spare!


I applaud all efforts at learning musical instruments--because I was never very successful in that arena, and I know how hard it is to learn. But . . . brand new musicians, especially on strings . . . oh my stars, I got the giggles so bad. If G$ sitting next to me, or one of the three 15-year-olds sitting behind me, had so much as snickered, I would have been done. Buck's NGF from two rows back texted me, "I see you trying to keep a brave face." Well, that was not helpful, especially since he sent a gif of a guy trying so hard not to laugh his cheeks were full of air and his face was turning pink. The struggle was real. Afterwards Graysen said he gave himself a similar pep-talk, "No matter what, do not laugh. They are all better at this than you." Lol, I'm glad I wasn't the only one on the struggle bus! I kept looking down at the program trying to figure out what song these brave, little players were attempting to share with us . . . oh man! Even now I get the giggles :)

Caelan opened and closed the recital, and her second piece went more smoothly than the first. There is something different  about being the solo artist in a recital performance--Caelan said her hands were shaking so badly that she couldn't reach all of her notes. By the second song, she'd settled and it sounded lovely. Our NGF's daughter told Gabby, who volunteered as Caelan's page turner, "Wow, usually everybody cries at recital, this year I think it was only two!" 


After the performance, I took the Crew to a newly opened candy shop to buy hot chocolate bombs for Caelan's birthday's Christmas lights drive-thru (whew, that was a mouth full!) They only had vegan and dairy-free left, but I figured since I've never tasted the latest rage in all the Christmas celebrating circles, we would give those a try. I'll let you know how it goes :)

And for our final musical thingy, the girls were up for another children's church recording. They weren't sure what song, which instruments, what background, and what timing would work best for them. This time Caelan got the giggles. They did a piano/drum combo and a piano/violin combo . . . Gabby's violin sounded good on the second, but Caelan's trying not to giggle voice lost some of it's tone. Maybe next time they violin will make another guest appearance. Music commitments complete! For now.



Colorado

We took the world's fastest--and slowest--trip to Colorado for Buck's stepmom's memorial service. I say fastest, because it took...